Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

cam and radiator

Crimson Thunder

Corvette
1970 Marboro Maroon Convertible
Just wondering as I plan to start my head and cam change tommorow. Can you remove the cam with the radiator still in place? Its a small block.

Is there enough room between the front of the engine and the inside of the nose to get the cam out? It looks pretty tight.

Once the radiator is out, the cam will come out - there is enough room.

Lars

Radiator definitely had to come out.(we all know what a P.I.T.A.that is) The top half came off without any surprises.Tomorrow starts the fun job of gasket clean up.

Radiator definitely had to come out.(we all know what a P.I.T.A.that is) The top half came off without any surprises.Tomorrow starts the fun job of gasket clean up.

I have a bunch of pics and video with my top-end rebuild and first start. If you need anything just PM me.

Yeah, And don't use too much RTV silicone on intake upon re-assembly. A friend worked for a local engine shop and excessive silicone is squeezed into the engine and gets into the oil passages causing all kinds of neat things to happen. Just a thought.:upthumbs

Thanks Jeff, I ended up going with the XE 276 cam after our conversation. Going to try another start-up tomorrow. The Brown truck delivered my new water pump this afternoon.

Radiator Removal

I'm starting the same project and can't get past the radiator removal. I took all the brackets and bolts off that hold the rad in place and still I can't pull it out. Shouldn't the shroud just fall against the engine leaving room for the rad to come out? Did I miss some bolts that hold the rad in place? Please help. Ken

I'm starting the same project and can't get past the radiator removal. I took all the brackets and bolts off that hold the rad in place and still I can't pull it out. Shouldn't the shroud just fall against the engine leaving room for the rad to come out? Did I miss some bolts that hold the rad in place? Please help. Ken

If I remember correctly, it should be just the two top brackets holding the rad in place. The rad sits on two rubber bushings on each end at the bottom. Shroud should move forward and the rad should be removed straight up and out if the hoses are disconnected. Mine wasn't easy either so just be patient.

If I remember correctly, it should be just the two top brackets holding the rad in place. The rad sits on two rubber bushings on each end at the bottom. Shroud should move forward and the rad should be removed straight up and out if the hoses are disconnected. Mine wasn't easy either so just be patient.

Just completed the same swap on my 68, the shroud on mine had two tabs on the bottom of it going through the lower frame area that had it bolted down. Once it is unbolted with the tabs in the slots it does not move forward, It took some work but I had to pull up and forward at the same time to get the shroud out of the way. Not fimiliar with any othe model year but hope this helps.

Removing the radiator needs the help of God. Say your prayers and get somone that is not in the spiritual form to help you. When you get the radiator out, do yourself a favor and bring it to a radiator shop to have it checked. Trust me you won't want to take it out again. Yes, moving the shroud forward is the way to go. I'm not sure what GM was thinking when they designed the radiator assembly but it will come out. Ken

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom