Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can a tire sidewall be patched?

Vettepirate

Corvette
2002 Blue z06
My tires were slashed (stabbed) last night on my very own driveway. Brand New Wide Ovals to boot. Has anyone heard of any places that can repair a sidewall?

I know it's a slim chance it can be fixed but i thought to try anyways. I was lucky they only slashed 2 and not 4 of them. It's not worth the hiked insurance rates so any solution apart from complete replacement would be nice.

I'm really sorry but the answer is no . I didn't think things like that happened in Canada.

If there is one constant in the universe, it's that there are arseholes everywhere, and we're no exception.

These tires are proving hard to find, I have to wait 1-2 weeks!

If there is one constant in the universe, it's that there are arseholes everywhere, and we're no exception.
A constant as universal as death and taxes... sad but true...

-Mac

Just my .02 cents . We patch/plug sidewalls on ATV tires all the time. BUT, we seldom exceed 25/35 mph. on occasion the machines will hit 65/70mph. Never would I do it on an automobile tire, let alone a Corvette. It causes a balancing nightmare also, vulcanizing rubber on to the tire, not to mention the cut cord. I'm sure some shop will do it but I wouldn't let them.

I ordered some replacements from tire rack and i'll be going down to potsdam in new york to pick them up either tuesday or wednesday. It really sucks to have to wait 1-2 weeks to use your car again. I was also days away from leaving for a road trip, how irritating is that!!

Thanks for the help. I guess we all fear this kind of thing happening to us but it seems to go with the territory of owning a car of this stature.

Thanks for the help. I guess we all fear this kind of thing happening to us but it seems to go with the territory of owning a car of this stature.

Jealousy is an ugly emotion. I'm glad we're finally getting some nice weather. Rather than driving the Vette, I've been riding the Harley.

-Mac

I can't disagree, it's been a great summer. Way better than the 2 last rainy ones and there was plenty of cruising weather to be had.

I have patched and plugged numerous sidewalls over the years with not one problem. My friend just had someone stab the sidewall of his 22in escalade tire, and I patched it for him and its been fine. He wasnt about to spend 500 on a new 22in tire. Ive also driven over 130mph with patches and plugs and never heard one horror story. Im not bragging, just stating the truth.

how do you patch a sidewall that has been slashed ??

:confused

You can't. I was refering to puncture holes. Like from the tip of a knife or some sort of spike. A whole that would only require one plug. But since you asked, I have fixed a slash with three plugs and lots of rubber cement and drove the car fifty miles home once. That job was done at 2am in the pouring rain with a portable air pump running on the cigarette lighter while my brother was telling me I was nuts.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom