Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can a top be repaired?

Vetteforfun

Corvette
1999 Magnetic Red Coupe, 6 speed, Z06 Ti Exhaust
The only scratch on my car is on the clear top. It's a pretty aggressive abrasion. Can this type of scatch be repaired? Will I have to replace the top? Anyone had anything like this repaired? If so, how and how much?

Thanks for any input.

Ed,

Had the same thing happen to me on the way to Bowling Green last year. Three of us ended up behind a concrete truck and he dropped some chunks. Oh yeah, I had just purchased the top about a month earlier. I never even tried to fix mine. I drive it all the time and figure it's bound to happen eventually.

Here an old post about the topic. In this one, he actually had to remove ALL of the coating.
98BlackV ette said:
My initial post mentioned that I attempted to wetsand the clear coat off, but in doing so, I messed up the Lexan underneath (swirl marks and clouding). I just purchased a great product called Novus #2 for fine scratches that eliminated all the damage. So...my original idea to wetsand off the clearcoat BY HAND, not buffer, is the way to go.

But you need, like, a whole day! It's really similar to the way you would remove window tint. However, instead of reaching glass, you reach Lexan, which of course gets marred up so you need the Novus product as the final step.

If you have lot's of time (and I mean lot's), that may be the way to go. As for me, I have no time, so I decided to buy a used top. I was really lucky, because this same person also had OEM tires for my car that I'm buying as well...now for the leaf spring

Good luck!

Thanks Eric for your reply. I didn't know if I could take the top somewhere to be repaired or if it was totally out of the question. I'm not sure I'd start sanding on the top myself.

I see you're from Manassas. Isn't that where the Virginia Creeper goes? I've ridden the trail a couple of times on bicycle. That's a beautiful area.

Thanks,
Ed

Vetteforfun said:
Thanks Eric for your reply. I didn't know if I could take the top somewhere to be repaired or if it was totally out of the question. I'm not sure I'd start sanding on the top myself.

I see you're from Manassas. Isn't that where the Virginia Creeper goes? I've ridden the trail a couple of times on bicycle. That's a beautiful area.

Thanks,
Ed
Ed,

The VCT is a ways southwest of here. We have the W&OD trail that runs from Alexandria west to the mountains though - it's an old rail line like the Creeper. However, the other Virginia Creeper (the weed vine) does grow around here I believe.:L

- Eric:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom