Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can I get a quick opinion..........

Well I made him an offer somewhere near that price "range"
and he has not e-mailed me back yet.....Time will tell, but I
think I might have lost this one......;shrug
C3's are a dime a dozen. Meaning there are TONS of 'em out there, in all conditions.
I'm not quite sure why you had to sell the ZR1, but then have $15K or so to play around with...(none of my bidness, but guessing you didn't need all the money from the Z for tuition. :))

If you missed this one, don't shed a tear. You can find another one without much effort. It may not be as close as being in your backyard, but what's a little drive to go see a car that you really like?

My 2¢ is that if you are going to go to a C3, look to either '73 and prior (focusing on '69-'72) or a 1980 model. Me personally, I'd take a somewhat rough '72 over a mint '79 any day.

------
PS - Welcome to the C3 forums now! :L

By time you add up the expense to restore a rough 69-72 including the purchase price of the car, you might as well get a mint 79 with upgrades. Don't get me wrong. I love the chrome bumper Vettes. Actually, I love all Vettes. If ZR-1 Mark is on a budget this would be the way to go.

By time you add up the expense to restore a rough 69-72 including the purchase price of the car, you might as well get a mint 79 with upgrades.
I didn't mean fixing up an older one.
I meant exactly what I said :cool...I'd rather drive around in a rough early C3 "as is" than a mint '79. (Is it obvious that I'm not a fan of the 1979's??? :L)

I love my 79 too! EVO, how come you are not a fan of the 79's and yes it was pretty obvious...;shrug No harm No foul.

One more thing.............
We are still negotiating on this car.

If it had the factory aluminum wheel and spoiler package,
which I think makes the car beautiful, it would be in my
garage already ;) .

And the motor compartment was just "second-to-none"....

Time will tell :w

I love my 79 too! EVO, how come you are not a fan of the 79's and yes it was pretty obvious...;shrug No harm No foul.
I was gonna put this in a PM, but ahh whatever! :LOL (Flame Suit ON)
I just never cared for the '79 due to the styling (which would also include the 77 & 78), it was a heavy car, and short of having the L82 in it (which helped only a little), it was doggedly slow.

Putting the spoilers on the front & rear certainly helps the looks, but then ya might as well buy an '80 and get all the other refinements that came with it. (I don't care the '81 and up due to me being light-heartedly anti-computers for our cars.)

I just never cared for the '79 due to the styling (which would also include the 77 & 78), it was a heavy car, and short of having the L82 in it (which helped only a little), it was doggedly slow.

Putting the spoilers on the front & rear certainly helps the looks, but then ya might as well buy an '80 and get all the other refinements that came with it. (I don't care the '81 and up due to me being light-heartedly anti-computers for our cars.)
(I don't care the '81 Say What.... hmmm we need to have a serious discussion around the Blenders this year... I'm talking SERIOUS :D :rotfl I'll take the hat back too ;LOL that just leaves BLACKDOG as the only Non 1981 member... I'm crushed :boogie

Bud

(I don't care the '81 Say What.... hmmm we need to have a serious discussion around the Blenders this year... I'm talking SERIOUS :D :rotfl I'll take the hat back too ;LOL that just leaves BLACKDOG as the only Non 1981 member... I'm crushed :boogie
Damn! And 'my right hand to god', while I was typing that I was thinking, "Hmmm, I hope Bud doesn't see this! Nahhh...he hasn't been in on this thread so it'll probably fly under radar." :boogie Ya just can't outsmart ol' Yoda The Omniscient! :cool

OK, it's one of those things that shouldn't have to be said, but I'll say it anyways. I love all Corvettes! ....I just love some more than others! :L

That's one of the cleanest 79's I've seen. The price is a little high but, which is better a low price and bust your wallet and butt to make it that nice or just bite the bullet and buy this one. Personally, I'd buy this one, after a little bartering, (does the plate come with it?) LOL

ps I have MY 82!

Good luck!

Dave

Wasn't the '79 lighter then previous years? The performance factor as you mentioned was an issue but didn't really change for the rest of the C3 generation. The '80 definately looked good although I would not prefer this year Vette. I totally agree with you about '81's and up. Damn computers! Oh, did I mention that I am a Information Technology Professional...:rotfl

Wasn't the '79 lighter then previous years? The performance factor as you mentioned was an issue but didn't really change for the rest of the C3 generation. The '80 definately looked good although I would not prefer this year Vette. I totally agree with you about '81's and up. Damn computers! Oh, did I mention that I am a Information Technology Professional...:rotfl
"I totally agree with you about '81's"

Ouch, they're ganging up on us... oh no Ethel I think I'm having the Big One..(sorry no smiley for a Heart Attack ;LOL ) I don't have the "Heart" to go out to the shop and tell Rare about the beating she is taking here :W :beer

Bud

Wasn't the '79 lighter then previous years?
During the C3 runs, and probably just about every year of vette production, the General has always tried to shed weight. (Power-to-weight ratios!)

Yes, the 1979 was lighter than the previous years, but the biggest weight savings of the C3 run was in 1980.

Hi All :D

I haven't had a chance to get in touch with the owner and make him an offer
yet, because the next time I do, I will be bringing it home. And my work schedule
just has not allowed me to do that.
Last Saturday I looked at a very interesting 13k mile 1980 L-82 at Corvette Mike's
in Plymouth Mass. That car is in my memory banks also, it appeared to be completely original, and even had some crayon marks on the frame still. I just don't know about that price either :eyerole , he's looking in the low $20's for it.

When I next go to look at the '79 I will bring a friend who has been doing Corvette body work for 30 years, I really need his opinion if in fact the car is all original as the owner states...

Time will tell,
Thanks, :w
Mark

Last Saturday I looked at a very interesting 13k mile 1980 L-82...in the low $20's for it.
Sounds potentially a bit high, but it is low mileage AND the L82. If it was the 4speed, that would make it even more tempting. However, for my buck, if I was looking at any vette in the low 20's, I'd go back to looking at an early C5 (although they aren't as good looking as the C3's) :D

However, for my buck, if I was looking at any vette in the low 20's, I'd go back to looking at an early C5 (although they aren't as good looking as the C3's) :D

Right on the money there, especially for a plastic bumper car. My Wife and I bought two C3's last year for just under $20,000, they are not perfect and need some work but one is a steel bumper Vert. The cars are there, but now the prices are higher, spring time everybody wants a Vette to cruise in.

Good luck with the 79 Mark. Sounds/Looks like a nice car. It sounds like you really like it, and methinks the spoiler and the rallies will be first on the to-do list. ;)

and a :L :SLAP :L for Dre and Vette79 for the 81 and up comment.. ;LOL

I got your back Yoda, no worries.. :upthumbs :chuckle

EVO is right. That is a bit high. Very tempting though with the mileage, L82 and it being a 1980. I just love the front end. ZR-1 Mark, I thought you were on a bit of a budget? ;squint:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom