Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Can you identify this component .........

Gohot

Corvette
1982 C3
Can someone tell me what this piece is. It is plastic in the center of the photo with two rubber hoses. One to the rear as can be seen and the other going to the base plate of the crossfire venturi on the passenger side of the manifold. Currently if I hook it back up to the manifold, it kills the motor. So I have disconnected it. Are their any simple fixes I should know about? or is this just a component replacement? Are their other components related to it which could be compromised? I want to replace it if it can't be cleaned or repaired or whatnot Will it help with lowering the idle which wants to stay from 900 to 1000 and only occasionally will go to the recommended stock idle rpm.

Attachments

• IMG_6079.jpg
    IMG_6079.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 154
I think its the EGR vacuum relay.
Sorry don't know how it works exactly

Greetings Peter

I believe peter is correct..I don't know what it does either.....sorry ...

Not an expert, but I will share what I know. I agree it is the EGR valve relay. If it has failed in such a way that the EGR valve is always open, It will cause the car not to idle. You should be able to pull the vacuum hose going to the EGR valve (round disk just to the rear of the relay) and the idle should return to normal.

The relay takes an input from your ECM and vacuum from the manifold and turns on the EGR at the appropriate times (cold idle not being one of them). Are you getting any ECM codes?

You can do a few things
1) Leave it unplugged. The EGR limits the NO2 output for emmisions. If you don't mind adding to acid rain, it will not effect the performance of the car at all
2) Try to find a new Relay -- I know for my 1981 they are near impossible to find. One of the only parts on the car that I have not found an aftermarket source for.
3) Bypass the relay altogether and route directly to a vacuum source. I am not sure if this would work. Pre 1981 (Computer controlled) the vacuum source was from a TVS. The TVS is a switch that only switches the vacuum to the EGR after the water temp comes up to operating temperature. Does an 82 have one?? If not, there may be some cold engine issues.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom