Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can you pull the tranny to do the clutch??? Or do I have to pull the engine?

Deadlego

Corvette
1979 Corvette L82 4 spd
Wel I have a 1979 L82 with the 4 spd trans. Now do I have to pull the engine to do the clutch or can I pull the trans out? I have a fixed crossmember so I cant unbolt that. I have some people telling me I cant and then I some tell me I can. So Im not sure what to do.

Wel I have a 1979 L82 with the 4 spd trans. Now do I have to pull the engine to do the clutch or can I pull the trans out? I have a fixed crossmember so I cant unbolt that. I have some people telling me I cant and then I some tell me I can. So Im not sure what to do.
Yes Sir,It can be done with out pulling the engine!!:thumb
I've done maybe 200 or so,It's No Picnic but doable!!:L:L:L

The Corvette Shop Manual gives the directions.

Much easier to leave the engine in and remove the driveshaft and trans.

I dont have the shop manual. So any hints would nice. Thank to you guys for help. :D

You need a shop manual. I'll say that pulling the trans is much easier- disconnect the driveshaft and speedo cable, remove the shifter and all the linkage, take the bolts out of the trans mount and remove it (support the trans!) then remove the distributor cap, take out the four bolts that hold the trans to the bellhousing, lift the engine slightly, pull the trans back and roll it top to the right. Keep working it back until it's as far back as it will go then start letting the engine down. As it comes down there will be one spot that the trans input will clear the bellhousing, then slide the trans forward and out. Not much fun unless you have a trans jack. It's not as heavy as an auto is, but it's still plenty heavy. Watch you fingers.

That's the rough version. the shop manual has the really easy way.

Get a FSM not anything else such as Chilton's,Haynes etc.

Ok thanks for the information. I will doing the cutch tonight if I get the parts today. I have parts ordered and they should be here today so. Agien thanks for the information

Steve

Thanks for all help and hints. I got the clutch changed. But I did break oil temp unit thing. What a mess.... Any way its done and seem to work.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom