Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Car Backfiring

wjw1741

Corvette
1962 Hardtop Convertible
Ok, so the other day my car has started to backfire. Not too often, but it is happening.

The engine was rebuilt about 4 years ago, and has less than 5k miles on it, what would start causing this issue? I know it has something to do the air gas mixture, but I am a driver, not a mechanic. Can anyone give me some insight as to anything that I might be able to do myself without taking it to the shop, or should I just take it there??

I have a 1962 .327 250hp four speed. When the engine was rebuilt, it was bored out .60

Warren

Last edited:
Ok, so the other day my car has started to backfire. Not too often, but it is happening.

The engine was rebuilt about 4 years ago, and has less than 5k miles on it, what would start causing this issue? I know it has something to do the air gas mixture, but I am a driver, not a mechanic. Can anyone give me some insight as to anything that I might be able to do myself without taking it to the shop, or should I just take it there??

I have a 1962 .327 250hp four speed. When the engine was rebuilt, it was bored out .60

Warren

I'd be leaning towards taking it to the shop, Warren.

Unless you have a timing light it's off to a mechanic that has one.

Some things you could check is the distributor tight or can you take hold of it and turn it with some effort?
If you can it still needs to be properly timed by a timing light.

Has you distributor cap cracked, are the points burnt, how's the gap, is the vacuum hose hooked up or leaking?

Even if you do find these things you still need to have it timed.

Good luck

2nd on the timing issue .... BUT

When it backfires, are you coasting off throttle ?
Is the exhaust stock?
Any air leaks in the exhaust ?
Has the power " FEEL " changed?

Check that vacuum hose from the distributor to the base of the carb first, passenger side.

A bad intake valve spring caused my 69 SS396 Chevelle to backfire thru the carb under load..........
Easy to check too! Just pull the valve covers and look at each spring. If you find one that's broken,
either fix it yourself or put the covers back on and get it to a shop.
Andy :w

Last edited:
Is it backfiring through the carburetor, or out of the exhaust pipes ("afterfiring"), and under what conditions?

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom