Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car not sitting level.

8T8T2

Corvette
80 L-82 Silver / 82 Crossfire White-Silver
Just noticed today, may have been like this for quiet awhile. My 80 is lower on the passenger side. Checked air presure all tires are right at 32 psi. Used a tape measure from garage floor up center of wheel to bottom of fender. Passenger side is close to 1/2 in. lower. Could this be bad or blown shocks or something more serious.:duh

I don't think I have ever see a C3 that sets level, usualy the drivers side is lower (from always having a driver and compressing the springs). Don't think I have ever seen the passanger side lower.

Try your measurments from the ground to key points on the frame to see if they match up. If so then it is probably body mounts compressing with age.

tom...

My car in the rear passenger side used to sit 2inches higher than the drivers side front. It turned out to be the rear leaf spring. I took the heavy spring out and put the VBP composite spring in. Now she's sittin pretty.

Thanks guys for input. When I get some days off I'll climb under and take some measurments. If everything checks out could the problem be in the shocks?

both front coils seated in pockets?

If difference is primarily at front ... primarily between left & right ... could be one coil is not seated fully into spring pocket ... improperly seated side will ride high. This condition isn't likely to occur unless front end's been apart (ie ball joint / spring / CA bush replacement) ... but it's an easy mistake to make cuz it can be hard to view deep into pocket. Dumb me ... took me a cupla 3 tries to get mine right. Spring positioning process is one where you must take care to keep your fingers intact ... still got 10.
JACK:gap

Mine sits unlevel also. But measurements from the garage floor to points on the frame are good. replaced all body mounts(most shot), new shocks. still down on the driver side.But the front wheels don't drag as much in the well in a sharp turn. New Springs that's next. Does anyone know about front springs? Should I go stock or are there others to consider? The rear will get the mono spring.

Definately rule out the shocks, they have nothing to do with how the car sits at rest. You probably have weak springs, or possibly one front one out of the pocket as someone else suggested. Take a careful look at your rear spring if it's still the multiple leaf style. You might have a broken leaf or 2? Sometimes you can adjust the spring a little to compensate. If the frame sits level but not the body you could have bad body mounts or worse, rusted out rocker channels. Mine had baseball sized holes where #2 and #3 body mounts bolt on.

My 80 also sits about a 1/2 lower on the passenger side.As far as ride height I think the springs would bring it back up to stock height.

If you are looking at the rear end of the car, an one side is higher/lower, it could be something as simple as your leaf spring could be sitting lower on the adjustment bolts that go through each end of it. If for some reason the nuts are not threaded the same distance on each bolt, that can easily change the rear level.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom