Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carlisle!

81ghost

So how many of you C3 owners went to Carlisle? This was my first year and it was a blast! Me and my boyfriend met 2 other 1981 owners, and they led us to this site. I wanna hear your stories about the show if you went. Like the crazy storm. We were on the street waiting for the parade when it started. Crazy!

This was my first one as well. I could not believe how hot it was. I got there early with the intentions of leaving early so I never did finish looking, shopping and doing everything. Took lots of cool pictures bought a few goodies. Although I did miss the storm there but did eventually get to experience it at home...LOL.

yeah we had about 6 rolls of film from our trip. Since we're in Va we were there for friday sat and sun. We went to the show on friday and sat, insanely hot! and we stayed in town with a friend so we explored the town a bit on sunday. We bought all kinds of things for our car! It was so exciting because we found everything we needed there. Does anyone know what year vette the tree fell on?

I havent been to Carlisle since 2001. It was a very overwhelming experience.
sensory overload - in a great way

real tough to book a room though......

For those of you who missed the storm, it was a wild ride.
I heard different reports from various weather stations in the area,
both on the radio and later on television. In the end, it was a disaster.

It felt like the tail end of a tornado. It was 90 plus, humid and
sunny skies abound, with no indication that a major storm was brewing.
The winds kicked up and before you know it, we were hanging on for dear
life. Our group had (2) 10'x10' and a 20'x10' collapsable canopy tents
overhead.

There was about 20 of us reaching as high as we could to keep the
canopies from blowing away and or collapsing. Instead of a downpour,
we were soaked head to toe with rain and wind hitting us laterally.
It felt like hours, but after about 25 minutes, it stopped and went
on its way, leaving a wake of devastation across half the
fairgrounds and throughout Carlisle.

There were huge trees uprooted, overhead power wires down,
the city in a blackout. There were suppliers tents collapsed or gone.
Products spun all over the place.

The saddest sites were the big-top above the 57s, down, ruining several
cars. A restored 65 big block that was up for a charity raffle had a steel
pipe from a display tent rammed through the right rear quarter. An 08'
with a huge scratch across the right side and its hood off.

In the evening, people who left the grounds for dinner in their classics
returned, not knowing what took place just before they left. It was gut
wrenching and something I will not soon forget. :cry

I am with you, Rudy. I can imagine the feeling of helplessness from the owners that faired the worst. I am not sure if anyone got hurt, but I really hope that no one got hurt. The Vettes can be repaired, but a person getting hurt impacts a whole lot more.

Back in Auburn, Indiana, the weather got pretty nasty, and it got pretty scary for some of our members, but the feeling of helplessness was genuine. :ugh

I wasn't at the fairgrounds at the time, we were on Hanover st. We had no power for half the night, and we had to drive to red robin for food. I cannot imagine coming back and seeing a tent laying on your car, or a pipe through it. UGH! We left our car in Virginia this year.

No there is no parking for RV's on the fairgrounds, but there are several campgrounds and places to park it.

also to the hoping no one got hurt, I saved mondays newspaper and 17 people were sent to the hospital :(

The storm left us all felling like this :eek:hnoes
But we the friends we met over the years coming here left us like this :beer.

But if your a true car nut and want a real change try leaving the big city life and move here we did. So no more 3 hour + drives up here anymore, wife gives you a season pass for xmas and then every show feels like xmas. Plus having 2 c3 and maybe a c2 in the future is fun also.

The storm left us all felling like this :eek:hnoes
But we the friends we met over the years coming here left us like this :beer.

But if your a true car nut and want a real change try leaving the big city life and move here we did. So no more 3 hour + drives up here anymore, wife gives you a season pass for xmas and then every show feels like xmas. Plus having 2 c3 and maybe a c2 in the future is fun also.

Hey Jim,

It was great seeing you guys again this year. Hated to leave, even after the storm. Glad none of us were at the fair grounds when it hit but I felt bad for those that were. Unfortunately, its something that no one could have predicted or controlled. Looking forward to seeing you guys again next year.

By the way, what year C2 are you dreaming about?

Have a good one and tell the gang hi:beer.

yeah we had about 6 rolls of film from our trip. Since we're in Va we were there for friday sat and sun. We went to the show on friday and sat, insanely hot! and we stayed in town with a friend so we explored the town a bit on sunday. We bought all kinds of things for our car! It was so exciting because we found everything we needed there. Does anyone know what year vette the tree fell on?
It was a Lemans Blue '69 coupe. The tree crushed the drivers side windshield post and t-top and also did damage to the hood and left rear fender. It was a very painful thing to see.

I wonder...do they have RV parking on the grounds?

Gerry..... many years ago they allowed you to camp in the near by grounds/park. It was a big problem and mess and Carlisle stopped the practice. As for rooms, you better start booking them for NEXT YEAR Carlisle now. Sounds crazy but the rooms will book up a year in advance. That would be a serious road trip for you from Albuquerque.

As for C3's in Carlisle..... I'm running on about 13-14 years in a row now. Being a little over 2 hrs drive it's not a bad commute each day and saves me more $$ for parts hunting. There is virtually nothing for C3's in the aftermarket world. The fun is digging through the rows and rows of piles of parts looking for those odd little parts that can only be found in Carlisle.

...... nut

So how many of you C3 owners went to Carlisle? This was my first year and it was a blast! Me and my boyfriend met 2 other 1981 owners, and they led us to this site. I wanna hear your stories about the show if you went. Like the crazy storm. We were on the street waiting for the parade when it started. Crazy!

Howdy Ghost,
glad to hear that you had a good time at Carlisle. Warning, you will be back next year.

I was the guy who posted in the SE forum looking for someone to run up with. I did read your reply and want to say thanks. This was my 4th time attending and it was just as fun as the first. Great place to meet old friends and meet new ones. WAYYyy cool.

I live down near Grandy, NC and work in Portsmouth. You or your boyfriend shoot me a PM sometime.

OBTW, Welcome to the CAC. Great place to hang out and a bunch of us always meet up at Carlisle.

We left about an hour before the storm hit. We did see all of the damage the next day.

:w
HD

I met Heavy Duty this year at Carlisle at the CAC tent with Remo, Guy, Janine, and a few others on Sunday. After shooting the breeze for a while, we walked back to our cars, and to my surprise Heavy Duty was parked right next to me and had pulled in at the same time I had. If it had not been for the CAC group meeting place, I would never have met him other than to say hi, how's it going?

After the heat on Saturday and the storm, I wasn't sure if there was going to be anything going on Sunday, but there was. It was probably the nicest weather day all weekend. I didn't get to do most of the things I wanted to do on Saturday because of the heat, but it was a good excuse to sit in the shade and relax. We got back to our Hotel just as the storm hit, due to my keen weather senses. We were going to watch the parade, but one look at the sky made my mind up real quick! I figured it was a good time to get out of there fast.

The worst thing about the whole weekend was the SMELL in the tents! The Museum/GM tent was awful as were most of the enclosed tents. It had rained earlier in the week, then the heat and humidity, then cover the damp grass over,heat it up, and have people walk on it.................:puke
Other than that, it was hot, but doable. Carlisle is a blast no matter what. Everyone has been suggesting they move the show to Sept. but this past Saturday and Sunday, it was only in the 50's in PA. Guess there's no happy medium.

I met Heavy Duty this year at Carlisle at the CAC tent with Remo, Guy, Janine, and a few others on Sunday. After shooting the breeze for a while, we walked back to our cars, and to my surprise Heavy Duty was parked right next to me and had pulled in at the same time I had. If it had not been for the CAC group meeting place, I would never have met him other than to say hi, how's it going?

After the heat on Saturday and the storm, I wasn't sure if there was going to be anything going on Sunday, but there was. It was probably the nicest weather day all weekend. I didn't get to do most of the things I wanted to do on Saturday because of the heat, but it was a good excuse to sit in the shade and relax. We got back to our Hotel just as the storm hit, due to my keen weather senses. We were going to watch the parade, but one look at the sky made my mind up real quick! I figured it was a good time to get out of there fast.

;LOL;LOL'82 you just never know who you will run into at Carlisle. It was pleasure meeting you too. You just have to be careful of Remo. Ever once in while we have to make sure his drugs are available:chuckle. My co-pilot who was with me will be a pilot next year. This was his second year riding shotgun with me. The bug really bit him and looks like he is going to buy my '86 from me.

Did you meet Todd? He was the guy from Mass. driving the Red C-5. Great guy to hang around with. This was his first year attending Carlisle and he was truly amazed with the number of vettes in one place. I think he will be back next year as well.

After the heat on Saturday and the storm, I wasn't sure if there was going to be anything going on Sunday, but there was. It was probably the nicest weather day all weekend. I didn't get to do most of the things I wanted to do on Saturday because of the heat, but it was a good excuse to sit in the shade and relax. We got back to our Hotel just as the storm hit, due to my keen weather senses. We were going to watch the parade, but one look at the sky made my mind up real quick! I figured it was a good time to get out of there fast.[/quote]

Yep...agree on this one. Sunday did turn out to be a nice day. We dodged the bullet Sunday on the way back to NC. The wife called while we were still rolling South on 95 and told us that there was a really bad storm over I-64 between Richmond and Williamsburg. So we stopped for an hour to get gas and something to eat. Glad we did. There were several accidents cause by the storm.

:w
HD

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom