Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Carpet color..can't find mahogony as per VIN

sonner78

Corvette
1978 Silver annivarsary edition
;shrugJust signed in... I have had this 1978 silver annivarsary edition car for 4 years with my dad owning it for 20+ years... I have had lots of questions on how to make it look and run well and I have researched it on the computer and came across this page. I was able to get the answers on how to replace a heatercore in detail from a subscriber so I thought I would sign up and actually ask the questions.
My first is..... I need to replace the carpet after the antifreeze/ heatercore liquid spilled into the carpet... THe color is a redish/burgandy color. (ok..almost pink with sun damage). I looked up information off of the VIN number and the color I get is mahogony #762 (leather upholestry). I have looked at about 6-7 dealers and I can't find that color.... Any ideas out there? Will send photo in later messages...
http://100megsfree4.com/corvette/1970/vet78.htm

your interior code should be in the drivers door jamb if its like my 82. Look for a company call cox they advertise on here they should have it.

Wow that was quick.. thanks. I actually got the VIN # and the code from the door jam too. Again, I get the color as mahogony but can't find the color name in any of the advertisements. I will try the company called Cox?

Interior code 762 = Saffron as per my books. There is no interior called mahogany in '78.I thought saffron was sort of a yellow colour?

Maybe your code is 692 dark brown?

My Black Book addition dated 1985 shows interior Codes: M=Mahogany L=Leather M/L=762.

Saffron, Mahogany. Same thing.
Some vendors list it one way, others the other way.

Black Book lists mahogany for '78. 76C for cloth; 762 for leather. Al Knoch has the carpet http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.asp?ZTM=cadegiga&GHOME=www.alknochinteriors.com&TITLE=Al_Knoch I'm sure Eckler's, Corvette Central, ZIP, and Willcox will also have it.

:)
We looked at the catalog for Al Knox and it showed both the Mahogony and the saffron as available colors. We have emailed him in regards to this. Thanks for the link...we have added it to our favorites.

We ordered the carpet

I'd go with your 762 trim code for mahogony leather.
:)
We wanted to thank you for the advice. We received two different color codes from two different vendors. One the mahogony and the other the saffron. They are exactly the same color sample. We liked the quick and professional response from Al Knock so we ordered the complete carpet kit this evening. Thanks everyone for your help.:thumb

Sooner, Welcome to the :CAC

If you haven't done so already, stop into the New Member Introduction section and say "Hi" to everyone!

As you've already found out, there's tons of available and accurate info to be found here.

Our own records section (Model Center) notes the color as "Mahogany". But as you've now seen, it was also referred to as Saffron.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom