Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carpet recommendation for my 68..

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered but my search did'nt come up with anything.
In the process of pulling the seats and old carpet from the 68 and would like to ask were others have gotten thier carpet sets and are they happy w/ them. And any problems encounted during the install.

Thanks, Jim

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered but my search did'nt come up with anything.
In the process of pulling the seats and old carpet from the 68 and would like to ask were others have gotten thier carpet sets and are they happy w/ them. And any problems encounted during the install.

Thanks, Jim

I have a set of ACC carpets (and seat covers too!) from Wilcox. The carpet fit perfectly in every detail. BTW- the massive amounts of sound deadener and padding aren't on the replacement carpet, but all the better for adding insulation. Great folks over there!

Here are some pics-

IMG_0784.jpg

DSCF0257.jpg

I remember seeing your interior on an earlier thread. You did a great job. I'll check out wilcox.
Did you add additional padding or insulation under your carpet.

I also got mine from Wilcox via eBay. By far, they also had the best price for the full set. I'm embarassed to admit I have not yet installed it.

I remember seeing your interior on an earlier thread. You did a great job. I'll check out wilcox.
Did you add additional padding or insulation under your carpet.

Thanks for the compliment!

My 80 makes the third set of carpets I've installed in a C3. I've learned this so far-

1.) Let the carpets warm up... when they are pliable they move around easier.

2.) Household carpet padding sheds water faster than OEM style padding. The OEM padding is essentially the world's largest cotton ball and holds water like a sponge. Household carpet padding is designed to put up with more abuse and to live through being shampooed many times in its life. Cut it to fit along the front buckets and along the rockers.

3.) Line the front buckets along the floor boards with a heat barrier insulation. Patrick and others have found great success with this-
foilfoamsm.jpg

A tutorial write-up is below-
http://mikemercury.home.att.net/sound.htm

Thanks for the compliment!

.... Household carpet padding sheds water faster than OEM style padding. The OEM padding is essentially the world's largest cotton ball and holds water like a sponge. Household carpet padding is designed to put up with more abuse and to live through being shampooed many times in its life. Cut it to fit along the front buckets and along the rockers...

I've installed the heat barrier... but the insulation you described is an EXCELLENT idea, and makes perfect sense! I think I'll give it a try when I finally install mine (have to get the electrical stuff fixed first).

Thanks!

Can you give me the web site for the carpet your recommending. Could'nt find..
DarkShark, I like your insulation idea also.. I also have electrical issues to deal with but the moldy carpet has got to go now..

Thanks.

I got my carpet set from Eckler's after waiting months for a set to arrive from Romeo Engineering (avoid them at all cost). I also installed a heat barrier under the entire carpeted area; I used a product called "Fatmat" and it is essentially a more affordable version of Dynamat.

Good luck with your project and I would say the main bit of advice I could offer would be to take your time and try to be patient.

I'm going to try the Duct Insullation as well as ACC. This will be at least the 4th time my carpet has been replaced.

Just got off the phone with Wilcoxcorvette, $183.50 +$41 for shipping.

It's ordered.

Thanks for the tip.

Koop,
Ordered mine today.. Did you ask them for your CAC discount.. Gets you down to $177.00. I also order heat/sound deadening insulation and floor mats. They said it would be made TONIGHT and would ship out tomarrow. Have it by the weekend.

They're closed now, I'll call in the AM to see if I get the insullation. After driving the car for nearly 30 years, the noise doesn't bother me, but I'm going to try!

Heat? What heat? ;LOL

LOL

With so many repro parts sellers out there - I wonder how many actual manufacturers there are taht provide the carpet to teh many retailers...? Some make their own but I can't imagine they all do...?

Anyway I think you have 2 choices as far as type of carpet - pile and loop. The loop is probably more original/correct but the pile (optionally available in later years and probably avail to fit in 68s) might be nicer. Something else to consider.

I went w/ the 80/20 loop from Wilcox. the front carpets were a piece of cake.. the rear areas will have to wait for warmer weather in the spring. Dont want to cement anything in cold garage.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom