Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

chambered exhaust system

pizza3260

Corvette
73 350 coupe
hi,
i am between buying a stock exhaust or a chambered system, but don't want it too loud, any opinion will help my decision.

tom b.
pizza3260

I put a chambered exhaust on a 74 Conv. for a customer and can tell you I found it awesome to listen to. Was pretty easy on the ears cruising with a nasty growl when ya opened it up. Not too bad to install either.

Hehehe, I love my chambered exhaust. I bought the $300 system form Mid-America and it was a breeze to install. Well, actually I need to bend one pipe to keep it from rubbing the tranny. Aside from that, no problem installing it and nothing but pleasure in the sound.

When I pulled the chambered sections out of the box I just about soiled my BVD's when I noticed that I could just about roll a tennis ball right through the pipe:D. Moe was dead on about the sound - nice and nasty but not at all obnoxious. At cruising speed running around 2500-3000 RPM it's not much louder than stock from inside the car. From behind the car it's a different story as a friend with a 69 Mustang has informed me. To be honest I may be a bit biased but several fellow CAC members have heard mine and all have approved so far, in fact RickG heard it Saturday and commented on it online in the post linked here.

Another advantage is the look of the car from the rear. No more 5-gallon bucket mufflers hanging down in the back. The chambered system will hang a little lower underneath but once you get all of the clamps right it rides just right.

Now stop debating and get that chambered exhaust. :upthumbs

I agree with 71Shark. I'm using MAD's chambered system about 2 years now and I think it has mellowed a bit. It's still an awesome sounding system and a real head turner. It sounds like the muscle cars of the late '60s. I just installed an Flowmaster American Thunder system on my stang and I'll tell you there's no comparison. Although I like the flowmaster system too.

On MAD's system & just about every other exhaust system I installed there's always something that needs done. I usually find that the pipe ends need to be expanded just a tad to fit properly. Other than that you can't beat the price & sound.

I usually polish the rear sections with #0000 steel wool and the pipes look great. Theres a page on my site(below) with a pic if you're interested. Click on the "chamberes exhaust" page once you get there.

Good Luck
Len

1970 Stingray said:
...I usually polish the rear sections with #0000 steel wool and the pipes look great. Theres a page on my site(below) with a pic if you're interested. Click on the "chamberes exhaust" page once you get there.
Good Luck
Len

Hey Len,
Thanks for the idea about the steel wool, gives me a project to get done this week! Oh yeah, nice little shark you got there;), he looks a little familiar:L - cowabunga.

- Eric:w

Chambered exhaust from hooker headers?

I have a 1971 454 LS5 coupe with hooker headers fitted and I need to replace the exhaust system. I really like the idea of a chambered system after reading the posts.
Can I get one that will mate up to the flange of the collector on the headers. The hooker site at www.holley.com gives details of all kinds of bits and pieces, but does not mention a chambered system.
Do you guys have any ideas.

Cheers
Paul

How much lower?

How much lower will the chambered exhaust ride?
I just barely clear the gate guide at work as it is. Unless I am lined up just perfectly, I don't clear the one on the jail side of the compound.
Silver

Re: Chambered exhaust from hooker headers?

ashy22 said:
I have a 1971 454 LS5 coupe with hooker headers fitted and I need to replace the exhaust system.
Can I get one that will mate up to the flange of the collector on the headers.
Paul,
Both MidAmerica and Allens Exhaust ( http://www.allencorvetteexhaustsystems.com/ )have versions for headers. Of course they require welding to install.

tom...

Re: How much lower?

78SilvAnniv said:
How much lower will the chambered exhaust ride?
I just barely clear the gate guide at work as it is. Unless I am lined up just perfectly, I don't clear the one on the jail side of the compound.
Silver

Heidi,

On mine it lowered my overall clearance b/w an 1 and 1.5 inches. The center chambered section is about 4 inches in diameter and you should hang it about 1/4 inch from the car to leave some airflow room (for heat) so you could measure and see. But ooooo the sound is great!:D

- Eric:w

I have the chambered exhaust in my 76 and it is loud. I sometimes get headaches driving the car around. But the sound the chambered exhaust gives out is worth a few headaches. It makes my vette sound so mean.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom