Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chip or no Chip

C

CSM87

Just another request for info and guidance on whether or not replace my stock chip with a performance type. Hypertech: Street Runner or Thermo Master?? Fast Chip??
I have an 87 coupe with a Dynomax "cat back" system (Y with X-over and high performance mufflers), butchered lid, K&N AF, TB coolent by-pass, TB air foil and a relocated MAT sensor.
Any Ideas??

I just put in an off the shelf Fastchip from Ed Wright. Jury is out at the moment on whether it helps with performance. But that is on an LT1. Most comments I hear in general is on a stock engine the off the shelf chip gives a small improvement if any. But it turns your fans on and off at lower temps. Most require a 160deg stat.

The Fastchip does require it for my car. So I did that and cooling system flush yesterday. I'll know by the end of the week if the chip actually has any performance value. Ed's chips are also $50 less than the other ones. I got a lot of good feedback about Ed and the quality of service from a bunch of folks. When I talked to him he answered all of my questions and got the chip out the next day. He also guarantees his chips with full refund in 30 days if you don't like the chip.

graham

I put a Hypertech chip in. Car ran worse. Emailed them and they said to check the broadcast code on the computer, which I did. According to them I have a late year chip, so I sent in the one I had, and they sent me another one. Again the car runs better with the stock chip. about .2-.3 sec faster to 60 than the Hypertech. In the 86 L98 I had years ago I put a Traco Engineering Chip in. Worked fine, but the torque converter wasn't locking up. I drove up to Culver City and saw Jim Jones who built Corvette engines for the Corvette Challange Races in the 80's. He asked me if I really wanted this thing to run. Of course I said yes. Said he had a program that they had been using on the last 12-15 races and it has worked really well for them. But I would need to put the larger throttle body on to take advantage of it. He pulled out a little notebook out of his pocket and programed my chip. I put on the larger thorttle body and just a K&N filter. No other mods. I am still trying to get my LT1 to go as fast as my 86 did. Wish he was still in business.

hmm

your 86 had a L98 engine 230 horses or 240 cant' remember where your LT1 has 300 horses

85 and 86 is one of the fastest cars in from 84 to 91 cause it has a small crankshaft or something like that,, or a light weight one, can't remember which

Chip no Chip

From what I have heard Hypertech chip is made to run with no modifications just plain stock. So if you start adding freeflowing exhaust throttle body air filter adj. fuel regulator this will counteract their chip. This is what I was told about their chip it leans out the factory air/fuel ratio from stock GM programming to make more power because GM makes them run fat(rich) to keep from motors going south if they happen to lean out on you say in a different region from where you live in say mountains thin air. Just my 2 cents worth. This may be why with modifications it runs better with stock chip up untill you get into the motor(camshaft bigger injectors bigger displacement)

I was thinking about the Hypertech

And I read the StreetRunner thing. It said Vette's that were mildly modified. I'm assuming they're saying with bolt ons.

I'm interested in this thread because I'm considering a chip real soon and hadn't really considered any other manufacturer besides Hypertech.

Edmond,
I looked at Hypertech as the last option if I was desperate. The Fastchip from Ed Write is popular. I also looked at Superchips and they're product had some good numbers but couldn't find anyone who actually used it. Then there is JetChips. Found maybe a couple of people using them with no complaints but nothing exciting either. The Fastchip requires the 160deg stat and the Superchip says you can run either factory or 160deg stat. All of them expect you to run 92 or better octane. Which is what your Vette expects even with the factory prom.
For $200 I got the Fastchip + 160deg stat + shipping.
I'll let y'all know what I think of it after another week or two so I can have chance to drive with it. I reset my computer doing the install so the car should relearn from scratch with the new chip.
Graham

Let me know what ya'll think I should do here

I have just the basic bolt on mods:

K&N
air foil
cut lid
cat back

I think that's going to be it mod wise because I'm saving money for my LT4.

So what are my better choices in terms of the chip? I'm not going to do the 160 degree therm thing.

Does Ed Wright have a website? Any feedback on his chips?

I have a few of the "H" chips laying around. Have one in my 85 and it made a big difference. I opened the intake lid...removed the screens, added airfoil, just added engine back exhaust with 2 1/2 pipe into Borla mufflers. Car runs great. Will make a deal to any who want chip......

RE Ed Wright

I highly recommend Ed Wright at Fastchips had him burn a custom one for my 91 Vette with LT4 Hot kit and motorsports 30lbs. injectors Havent been to the track but engine is alot more responsive to the mods and I could be wrong but he is the only one I know that reburns the up t0 93 model eproms. There is another guy Bryan Herter at pcmsforless.com that can reflash the 94 up computers mainly B-Bodys but check him out too .

Ethan...

How do I get into contact with Ed Wright?

Are his prices pretty good as compared to Hypertech?

I guess that Hypertech was my only choice until I realized that there are other chip manufacturer's out there.

I'd like to thank you guys for all the feedback and opinions! This site kicks a$$

I have the Hypertech Stage II chip. I have the 160 degree engine thermostat. The car runs very good and passes Wisconsin emissions. The fan comes on at 174 degrees and the lock-up torque converter works fine. I am satisfied. The car seems to launch stronger and WOT is more robust. Sorry but I do not have any actual times.

Radar :beer

Ed Wright

Ibelieve it is fastchips.com or search for his name If it is a 94 up also pcmforless.com

Hypertech Stage 2

I have the stage 2 and I like it a lot. Most noticably the shift points are different and the OD doesn't kick in till 45 mph (it used to kick in at 35). At WOT, the chip really lets the engine wind out. I can't give you track times, but it feels faster than the stock chip. Twinnie will disagree, but for my money (under $200 for chip, 160 stat and fan switch thru Autozone) it was well worth it.
--Drew:w

From what I've read, it looks like I'll be looking deeper into the Ed Wright chip. I especially like the part where he stated that most chips won't touch anything below 1400 RPM's and said his could come in as early as 400 RPM. I'm pretty sure that I read that correctly.

Ed Wright

If you have any questions e-mail him he will answer you and I believe one of the aftermarket supercharger companys includes his programming with the cost of their kit included if this says anything of his work.

It's a good thing that I didn't just go out and order the Hypertech chip. I didn't realize I had so many options on what chip I could use.

Thanks to the community for all the help.

You have definitely saved me time, money and possible chip satisfaction.

I put a Hypertech Stage II in my 84 and it makes all kinds of difference.
For one, I get way better gas milage....well, if I dont race it around ;) and it also reprograms the torque coverter so it doesnt "hunt" for the right gears to be in. That alone improves drivability.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom