Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

choke or alternator ??

C

cmegga

choke or altinator ??

So here is the latest issue.. When I first start the car up it runs really choppy in the 1000-2000 rpm range and my volt meter is all the way down near 8. My windows and power accessories are moving very slowly.

Now if I hammer down on the gas and get it up to 4000rpm or so, somthing seems to "click on". My volts jump up to 13 and it has power in the low rpm range again.

Any ideas on the issue here, my only to thoughs are the choke sticking until I power it off. Or the altinator is going bad. Any easy way to diagnose the issue ??

Alternator is likely culprit. Not enough power to amply supply ignition ... so weak fire at lower rpm. Be prepared to also change out ignition module inside distributor ... it can be damaged by low voltage.
JACK:gap

'puter affected by low voltage

I think the 81 has both carb & distributor's ignition timing controlled by computer. Low voltage to computer may cause the computer-regulation of carb & timing to be out of whack. Many auto parts houses have a quick, free check of your alternator. Give em a call, drive up & they connect analyzer to your alternator ... then you run engine & they read their meter.
JACK:gap

Its not likely to hurt the computer as it has been un hooked for some time now.

I suppose Ill have to start with the altinator , I v been wanting to out a nice chrome one on there anyway !!

Any chance it could be a vacume issue ?? I just changed the heads and put a performance cam in it ??

Just a thought, when you get the new alternator, get a higher amp one. I had a similar problem before I set mine on fire (long story:eyerole) and replaced it with a higher amp one that had a smaller pulley as well. The smaller pulley design keeps it spinning faster at low RPMs to maintain juice output.

- Eric :w

Unbolt the alternator and take it down to your FLAPS. They will check it out for you. It sounds like you may have a problem in the built in voltage regulator. The regulator is very easy to swap . . . and it is inexpensive to boot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom