Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chrome rims, weights and balance

B

BlackZ28Turbo

Hey guys. I just got my chrome rims installed on the car and in typical fashion I didn't want weights installed on the outside of the rim. I did notice that I get a slight vibration when I exceed 70mph.

My question is what have you done with your chrome wheels? Are weights installed on the outside? Did you use tape weights on the middle of the rim?

I hate to see weights on a wheel but I also enjoy a smooth driving car. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
JB-

Tape weights on the inside of the rim. Also, have the wheel/tire combination balanced using a Hunter GSP 9700. It is the state of the art in wheel balance and vibration control technology.

So the wheels and tires are'nt speed balanced? Any reputable shop would have simply balanced them on the inside. That's such a simple fix.

It was my understanding that if you balance the wheel on the inside only you still run the risk of vibration. But then I'm no tire guy.

I didn't use my normal tire people because the place I bought the rims wanted to mount them. The guys at Plaza do a great job with this stuff so I will take it to them.

Congrats on the wheels!
I expect pictures!!!!
Damn, slight vibration at 71mph you say?
I wonder how slight it would be at 130?
I hope you get it fixed!

BlackZ28Turbo said:
Hey guys. I just got my chrome rims installed on the car and in typical fashion I didn't want weights installed on the outside of the rim. I did notice that I get a slight vibration when I exceed 70mph.

My question is what have you done with your chrome wheels? Are weights installed on the outside? Did you use tape weights on the middle of the rim?

I hate to see weights on a wheel but I also enjoy a smooth driving car. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
JB-

Now I am worried!
Please get it taken care of! I don't want to hear any more bad day reports!

crash1.jpg

BlackZ28Turbo said:

Thanks,
JB-
Hi BlackZ28Turbo -

I had the same problem with my aftermarket Z06 chromies.

I agree with - find a local shop that uses the Hunter GSP 9700 Road Force Variation balancing machine. Here is a link to the search to find your local machines -

http://209.176.154.132/pub/search/FindGSP9700.cfm

Unfortunately, after 6 attempts to get my wheels balanced as well as the factory setup - I bought CCW's - problem solved...

good luck and

best regards -

mqqn

Thanks for the information it is useful and disturbing at the same time. ;)

I will give it a try and see what happens but the prognosis doesn't sound too good.

mqqn said:
Hi BlackZ28Turbo -

I had the same problem with my aftermarket Z06 chromies.

I agree with - find a local shop that uses the Hunter GSP 9700 Road Force Variation balancing machine. Here is a link to the search to find your local machines -

http://209.176.154.132/pub/search/FindGSP9700.cfm

Unfortunately, after 6 attempts to get my wheels balanced as well as the factory setup - I bought CCW's - problem solved...

good luck and

best regards -

mqqn

well - you might not have as much trouble as I did - my rims were not the same as most of them I have seen (zo6 chromies, that is) - mine has a different rim profile in the area where the wheel weights clip on - the first two times I had them balanced - it threw wheel weights off when I got up to speed!!! I could see tha damn things go flying! Scary -could have damaged a fender etc...

After the GSP 9700 balance and going to stick on weights - it was MUCH better - only a small amount of wheel shake at 80-85 mph...not terrible but I just couldn't take it...

Good luck!

mqqn

CCW's huh? I'll try the balance thing but if I don't think it is right then I will make a change.

mqqn said:
well - you might not have as much trouble as I did - my rims were not the same as most of them I have seen (zo6 chromies, that is) - mine has a different rim profile in the area where the wheel weights clip on - the first two times I had them balanced - it threw wheel weights off when I got up to speed!!! I could see tha damn things go flying! Scary -could have damaged a fender etc...

After the GSP 9700 balance and going to stick on weights - it was MUCH better - only a small amount of wheel shake at 80-85 mph...not terrible but I just couldn't take it...

Good luck!

mqqn

mqqn, what was the resolution of your situation? Did you change wheels? If the GSP 9700 can't eliminate the out-of-balance condition, you are left with basically two options: 1.) Live with the out-of-balance condition, or 2.) Change wheels.

cavettefan said:
mqqn, what was the resolution of your situation? Did you change wheels? If the GSP 9700 can't eliminate the out-of-balance condition, you are left with basically two options: 1.) Live with the out-of-balance condition, or 2.) Change wheels.
Hi cavettefan -

My resolution was new CCW's ... The GSP 9700 said that the wheels were good - so it may have been one of my tires - I hear that it is not unusual for a brand new rim and a brand new tire to not be able to be balanced on the 9700- and in those cases they just try a different tire.

I told the fellow who bought my rims about the issue with balance. I took a $300 hit - minus the couple hundred spent trying to get them to balance.

Keep in mind that the wheel shake was much more subtle after the GSP 9700 balance - but it was still present.

I get zero wheel shake now.

best regards -

mqqn

Ummmm-What the heck happened here?
Someone please explain this one! Por favor! Gracias.

theblackvette said:
Now I am worried!
Please get it taken care of! I don't want to hear any more bad day reports!

crash1.jpg

I had a very bad day. This IS (or was) the Black Z28 Turbo.

CubanZ06 said:
Ummmm-What the heck happened here?
Someone please explain this one! Por favor! Gracias.

I agree completely. The place I bought the rims insisted on mounting them because I traded my original rims in on the chromies. In my opinion they did a horrible job. I told them how to balance the rim but they didn't listen.

I took the car to the tire place that I use for all my vehicles and had the top tire guy balance the rims. No vibration. Smooth as silk. They don't have the high priced balancer. Just a guy that knows tires.

Pac-man said:
So the wheels and tires are'nt speed balanced? Any reputable shop would have simply balanced them on the inside. That's such a simple fix.

Where is the BlackZ28Turbo these days?

Has it been junked yet? Insurance money change hands yet? Just wondering.

BlackZ28Turbo said:
I had a very bad day. This IS (or was) the Black Z28 Turbo.

BlackZ28Turbo said:

Thanks,
JB-
I had my chromies installed by the local tire shop I've gone to for years. I asked them to balance on the inside with stick-ons and they did. They used the Hunter equipment. So far, no vibrations at all.

That is what I asked the original installers to do and they wouldn't because they didn't like the stick-on weights. Won't be going back there again.

Z_OH_6 said:
I had my chromies installed by the local tire shop I've gone to for years. I asked them to balance on the inside with stick-ons and they did. They used the Hunter equipment. So far, no vibrations at all.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom