Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CLeaning the Callaway, part II - The good, bad, and ugly...

*89x2*

Tonite was the local Corvette CLubs "shop night" and their sponsors mechanic was generous enough to let me put the SNAT up on the lift, That's the good part :cool

Bad part, once up, discovered the passenger side rr. bearing was trash - too late to get one from parts :( ...that explains the noise I had heard while driving :eek

Ugly - Ugly was the underside BEFORE I got started... Goop & grime from years of road useage :eek

multiple cans of brake clean, spray orange and simple green, as well as, my trusty motorcycle plastics spray polish cleaned her right up - then I got out the steel wool :D

What would not come off with the metioned items certainly was no match for the steel wool - now the rear 1/2 shafts and control arms have a nice satin sheen to them, not chrome, but nice :cool

I will take the car back this weekend for the bearing install and get the rest of the cleaning done up top at another time - 6 hrs of polishing plain wore me out :D See ya :w

attachment.php

attachment.php

You "Waxers" are starting to scare me! :L

Am I supposed to be doing these things too prior to Bloomington?

I was just planning on driving it in, hitting it with the duster and quick detailer and heading for the bar. Am I missing something? :beer

Kevin, I like your plan :beer

the SNAT has 5x,xxx miles on it and had not really been cleaned underneath. It was one of those things that bothered me, as I knew it could look better - with the center exit exhaust, you really see the 1/2 shafts spinning and the rest of the suspension from behind :eek
Now she sparkles :cool

90Callaway said:
You "Waxers" are starting to scare me! :L

Am I supposed to be doing these things too prior to Bloomington?

I was just planning on driving it in, hitting it with the duster and quick detailer and heading for the bar. Am I missing something? :beer
Im glad to know that Im not the only one with less than spotless half shafts :D

90Callaway said:
Yeah! Skip the bar! The trucking company is putting a couple pallets of Yueungling on the truck with the cars! :L

Any chance you can send some more photos of that center exhaust front to back under the car?

Very cool....that is my next purchase....thanks

How did the bearing replacement go? I've been trying for months to get some bushings in the rear of my SNAT replaced with no luck. There was some confusion as to just what different people/comanies call the part I needed a bushing for. I call it the strut rod. Anyway, I've finally tracked down the right bushings and I'm scheduled to replace them on Monday. Should tighten things up a bit in the rear!

Also, just to perk your interests, I have a new license plate on the SNAT that I'm excited to show you guys... I'm trying to figure out how to get my free web space provided by my ISP to work, once I do I can post pics there...

jcummings250 said:
How did the bearing replacement go? I've been trying for months to get some bushings in the rear of my SNAT replaced with no luck. There was some confusion as to just what different people/comanies call the part I needed a bushing for. I call it the strut rod. Anyway, I've finally tracked down the right bushings and I'm scheduled to replace them on Monday. Should tighten things up a bit in the rear!

Also, just to perk your interests, I have a new license plate on the SNAT that I'm excited to show you guys... I'm trying to figure out how to get my free web space provided by my ISP to work, once I do I can post pics there...
Wheel bearing replacement went fine - lightened my wallet by $50 (plus the part;) )

Tonight, I spent a couple hours out cleaning under the hood of the SNAT - I have to remember not to hose it down, as the Opti-Spark might not like that :eek

I too got a new tag for the SuperNatural :D -

WHOA!!!!!! What a shine!!!!!!

After seeing FX GS's Callaway a few months ago, I took his suggestion and bought Meguiars NXT finishing products - MAN!!!!! Mark - you were not kidding - the shine is NICE :cool
I have the B2K all shined up and ready for pick up - next, SNAT cleaning, have to get thos little fingerprints off the back ;)

*89x2* said:
Mark - you were not kidding - the shine is NICE :cool ;)
Best I've ever used. I have two coats on now and have used the NXT Booster inbetween. I was going to clay bar the car, but after using the NXT no need to.
The finish is smoooooth.

FX GS said:
Best I've ever used. I have two coats on now and have used the NXT Booster inbetween. I was going to clay bar the car, but after using the NXT no need to.
The finish is smoooooth.
Mark, I did the SNAT today - Something was on the front nose, I thought it "in" the paint :eek - some "goo gone" and it was - Gone ;)

Then I treated it to the NXT - a neighbor asked what lkind of car it was - she said it looked an awful lot like a Corvette ;)

Finally took the Carlisle sticker off the front - Cars are DONE, whew :D

Thanks for the info on that stuff :m

Nice & clean, I do that to my Lt4 about once a year. I couldn't help but notice the lower shock mount. I just replaced my Bilsteins with QA1's. The new bottom shock bushing was smaller than the the old one & smaller than the spindle - the way it looks in your picture. I got some stainless & some nylon washers & shimmed it up to remove the gaps.

If you are ever troubled with a shock type noise you might take a look at doing that. You have to take the shock off to get them on to the wheel side of the spindle - it's not a big deal.:)

Cool car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom