Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cleaning the rear

77-4speed

Corvette
1977 Black L-82 4-speed
Well,

Now that I have the diff and related parts out of the car, I was thinking about cleaning the area up. Bullitt recommended por15 and I've heard good things from others about it. My question is, what has everyone done as far as prepping the surface prior to using por15? I figured sanding of some sort on all the metal parts. Maybe a wire brush? Simple Green? I've looked at Scott's pics from the c3sharktank but he doesn't really mention how it was cleaned.

Any heads up or advice is welcomed.

Russ

I used a wire brush, a metal scraper and sandpaper to get off the real aggressive stuff. POR-15 likes a rough surface to adhere to, so you might have to buy some of their metal-etch spray if you smooth out the metal. Otherwise, use sandpaper like 80-grit to keep it rough. It'll be real messy, so put that cardboard under your work area. Careful with the stuff too. Like the pics Marck (Twinnie) showed, once that stuff gets dried on your skin, you'll look like that for a week or longer. :L

--Bullitt

Russ,

I've got a sample of Por15 but have not had a chance to use it. I did some research, including a posting here at http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11502&highlight=por+15

It's one of those things that I will likely do later this summer when I run out of money and need something that looks like it will kill a lot of time. I bought a starter kit at http://www.por15.com/preventrustpaint.html. It comes with just about everything you need except the covering paint. I'm probably going to cover mine with undercoating material as that is already under the car and I don't want to strip it off if I don't have to.

Sounds like your rear end job is coming along well. Mine went in for the front end today. $750 plus the parts I supplied, which consists of one of the kits with just about everything you need, a power steering control valve and two shocks. I'm told that's not too bad.

Good luck with your project.

Bob

Bob,

Sounds like your project is coming along as well! I guess you got the heat shielding and carpet installed? I am thinking that all told, I will be at about $410-$450 for the rear end work. Not too bad for everything that's being done. I have no idea what it would take to redo the front end. I guess your suspension and power steering were bad huh?

Thanks for the advice on the shocks. I have heard a lot of good things about the KYB's but I hadn't heard anything about anything else except for the hard-core, kidney-killing type of shocks.

Thanks again,

Russ

I got the back carpet in ok and am currently cleaning and repainting the trim up on the door pillar. I should be ready to put that back in this weekend. Check it out.

http://home.attbi.com/~jchadwick/interior.htm

I'm leaving the serious heat shielding and carpet replacement in the front until this winter when I won't be driving the car and will have the time to do it right. When finished you literally will not see any fiberglass with all seems sealed tight. I'm going to run it completely over the tunnel as that thing gets so hot you can't put your hand on it.

My front end wasn't too bad, mainly the front shocks and squished bushings. It could still be aligned but I couldn't get a pull to go away. Luckily it wasn't causing any tire wear. My mechanic cut me a deal on the labor so I went ahead and had it all done.

I replaced the rear shocks myself one Sunday after I got so frustrated trying to install the door hinge spring. The shocks took less time than the spring and I finally just had him do it with the front end.

I'm going to get some new spring end bushings for the rear and when I have the rear tires off for this, will tackle the rust proofing.

Bob

The carpeting looks NICE! What kind did you go with (loop, 80-20)? I have a big ugly speaker box in the back of mine that is holding my 2 8" subs, 2 12" subs, 2 6X9's and 2 amps. It really is overkill, but I had been wanting a "ghetto blaster" system since I was 10 and finally spent some money. Now I'm thinking that it was pretty useless since you can't feel all that bass in the car anyway! I'm debating on what to do. Thinking about something a little smaller and more managable so that I have some space for storage.

Once again, it does look nice back there.

Russ

I forget what kind it was. I recall the guy telling me it was what was in the car originally.

I may go with an amp someday, hopefully it will fit between the two speakers, but for now it's plenty. I don't want to get too expensive because they then have a tendency to walk off.

My box just sits back there with friction holding it in place. The thing I like about it is that I can pull it our easily for some sounds outside the car when parked.

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom