Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clear headlights?

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Hello,

I'm wondering if clear headlights are available for the C3's. All I've ever seen are the old ones and they are not as clear as the ones in modern cars. Any options?

Groeten Peter.

What exactly do you mean by "clear headlights"? Can you give an example of what cars have them now? Or a link to a manufacturers site for the light?

i can only presume you are talking about "white" or xenon type headlamps for your vette. if so, i suggest you check the web sight of midnightmoose.com. they have all types of lighting products including conversion kits to accomplish what you want. i would suggest, however that you drive a car with "white" bulbs first before you buy them (if that's what you decide to do). you may be surprised that they aren't as bright as they appear. i replaced the regular bulbs in my wife's PT cruiser with xenon lights and while they were pure white light, they didn't make that much difference in lighting in my opinion.

good luck

steve

Sorry the clear was ment for the lens not for the hole headlight ;) So the lens of the headlight is clear glass. Older cars have "vanes" in the glas (lens) so you can't see the inside clearly.
Hella example:
4KFF-blk.jpg

I've never seen aftermarket headlights for a C3 with clear lenses.

Groeten Peter.

Groeten Peter.

i believe those are housing that accept a seperate bulb as opposed to a sealed beam headlamp. i suggest that you check out the web site i mentioned in my original post. they may have what you are looking for.

steve

Peter,
my car had been changed (in Germany) and has old style (round) VW Golf H4 Bosch in them. Real nice light, low & high beam. I dont remember though whether they are clear lens or half and half (top half for scattering in vanes), bottom part is definitly clear..

:w
-Stefan

J.C. Whitney has clear lens replacement headlights for the 4 light system. Come without bulbs but they have a chart with any type and candlepower bulb you can imagine that fit the lights they sell.

Hopefully Peter can find something local. Shipping overseas will likely get expensive!

If you just want high beams go shopping at the airport. They have a screw terminal and you will have to adapt the wiring but man are they bright.

ecb5c2bb.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the replies everybody.
Over here in Europe there round lights are very hard to find. Having an American car is already an exception so I'm used to ship everything from the states over here. The closest thing I can get my hands on are VW Golf 1 headlights (same as Stefan has i think but i thought they didn't fit exactly?).
In Holland sealed beams are not allowed but the J.C. Withney site is great!
Thanks! :)

Groeten Peter.

Peer,

The conversion was done before it was my car, i can go snap some pics, if you want. They look pretty good in there, initially, i didnt realize those didnt come standard. Maybe someone "made" them fit. ;)

I'll post the pics in the next few days..

It's all candle-power over here! ;)
I think it was because you need to change your light bulb ON SITE when it is broken. And I think not to many people drive around with a spare sealed beam. :) We also need a E type approved lens but I don't worry about that to much.

Groeten Peter.

Tom, do the local airports sell the type of light you have in your post or are there specialty sites where I can buy them?

They should. They are just standard landing lights. I have never tried to find them online at an aviation supply source but I'd bet they are out there.

I just did a quick aircraft supply search and found a bunch of suppliers. Here's one.

Landing Lights

I have Cibie euro lamps in my C4 with replaceable H4 100/130w bulbs. I upgraded the wiring with relays to carry the current. They are at least equal to any of the arc-discharge lights and not blue.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
look at this page Daniel Stern actually sells euro stuff in the states!
He has some good info for DIY.

JS

Thanks Gents. I like the look and brightness of the landing lights and the Cibie Euro's. I'll check them out.

Peer,
here are the promised pics..

http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/82coled/H4 Headlights/

They are the cut/vaned H4 Euro's. So, not really "clear" in that sense. They do provide good lighting though vs. the H1/Sealed Halogen i have on other US car's. Let me know if you need me to retake any, or focus on an area.

Also, in case you cant make out the numbers on the glass, i wrote them down for you.

H4numbers.jpg

The only one i couldnt fit into the little scribble above was next to the BOSCH line, curved on the glass.. That number is: 1305 601 129

I hope this helps..

Now i gotta go and find a remover for the leftover, rusted screws i had to drill the heads off for the cover to come off.. Ah yes, 24 year old cars. :eyerole
Out of the 6 screws, the 4 small screws in the front (i believe are 8x1/2), 1 broke it's head off at the first sight of my screwdriver, the other 2 were already stripped so i had to drill the head off, so now i got nubs left.. :( Ah well, something to do.. :L

Gruesse
-Stefan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom