Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch fork grinding on pressure plate!$?

meridian6

Corvette
1992 LT1 White Convertible America3
C4 LT1 6-Speed manual. Just started grinding noise when clutch pushed to floor. If you ease off, grinding noise goes away. Shifts in all gears fine, no slipping or hard shifting and no noise. Just the grind noise if clutch pushed to floor (of course this happens when not extremely careful).

OK

Took down transmission and clutch cover and see that fork is just touching pressure plate (grinding) when hydralic clutch is pushed all the way to floor.

Is something wrong with slave (allowing too much push)? or is maybe the clutch disc is just wore out? Fork and Ball stud look OK. I'm a little afraid to pull pressure plate to look at disc!

ANY IDEAS???????

Clutch grinding noise

Sounds like your disc or throw-out bearing may be 'going south' or wearing out. Either the disc or bearing face is worn or the fork engagement surface is worn or the bearings in the throw-out are worn.
Pita to replace; I'd have the fly-wheel resurfaced (if it's the type that can be resurfaced) and put in a new disc/pressure plate if I got it far enough apart to replace the throw-out bearing.

Clutch problem solved- thanks Guys.

jmccloud said:
Sounds like your disc or throw-out bearing may be 'going south' or wearing out. Either the disc or bearing face is worn or the fork engagement surface is worn or the bearings in the throw-out are worn.
Pita to replace; I'd have the fly-wheel resurfaced (if it's the type that can be resurfaced) and put in a new disc/pressure plate if I got it far enough apart to replace the throw-out bearing.

Turned out the ball stud that the fork rests on has worked itself halfway in causing the fork to make contact with pressure plate!!!?!?!?. Five minutes and some lock tight and that was solved. Now to put the unneeded :cry $500 clutch kit in since I have it apart!!

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. Thank you God it was not the thrust bearing allowing too much play in the flywheel!!!:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom