Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Harder to Engage

Explosive

Corvette
1990 ZR-1
I recently had a leaking Slave Cylinder, thus very hard to shift gears. Had slav changed and also replaced Master Cylinder. Gears shifted great after the change, but found it took more pressure to engage the clutch and longer for the clutch to disengage. Wondering if there is a Hydraulic Hose that is too soft as hose should be hard enough so it doesn't expand under pressure. Any INFO in regards to this problem is much appreciated. Thanks

I recently had a leaking Slave Cylinder, thus very hard to shift gears. Had slav changed and also replaced Master Cylinder. Gears shifted great after the change, but found it took more pressure to engage the clutch and longer for the clutch to disengage. Wondering if there is a Hydraulic Hose that is too soft as hose should be hard enough so it doesn't expand under pressure. Any INFO in regards to this problem is much appreciated. Thanks

Did you solve this issue?

This has been the most PITA I have had in a long time. After having the Slave Cylinder and Master Cylinder changed,the clutch seemed harder to engage and engine would rev up before clutch would engage. I think possibly the lines had air in them and should have been bled again, but mechanic said it was probably my clutch that was bad. I was so aggravated with this I told them to change the clutch. Even though the clutch works fine now I am still not sure if my old clutch was bad.:happyanim:

I do know some slave cylinders were made with the seals installed backward
on the pistons. And there were reported problems with either the cast iron ones
or the rolled steel ones. Can't remember witch. I'll try and search for more info
later on.

I know this is a little late .but the other thing that goes bad in our clutch setup is the pivot ball for the clutch fork and if that doesn't get replaced soon then you will bend the clutch fork also. I have had to replace the pivot alls on both my zr1s . you don't want to let this go on to long as it will end up destroying the syncros and maybe some of the gears in the zf tranny. the parts for the zf tranny aren't cheap. but if you do have to get it rebuilt go to bill boudreau aka the zfdoc .he is the expert and does awesome work too. when he rebuild them he blueprints them and they shift so good you have to be an idiot to miss a gear

I know this is a little late .but the other thing that goes bad in our clutch setup is the pivot ball for the clutch fork and if that doesn't get replaced soon then you will bend the clutch fork also. I have had to replace the pivot alls on both my zr1s . you don't want to let this go on to long as it will end up destroying the syncros and maybe some of the gears in the zf tranny. the parts for the zf tranny aren't cheap. but if you do have to get it rebuilt go to bill boudreau aka the zfdoc .he is the expert and does awesome work too. when he rebuild them he blueprints them and they shift so good you have to be an idiot to miss a gear

Good to know! Thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom