Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

clutch life?

Topless

Corvette
1992 Convt w/hard top; 2004 Z06 Z16; 1962 327/300
Ok, just curious... Anyone else have more than 130K on the original clutch? I autocross, and have even been to the drag strip on occasion. For the life of me, I just don't know how the clutch is still with me.

So, how many miles on yours?

...130K on the original clutch...

:thumb

I think you've moved beyond getting a lot of miles out of your clutch and into the realm of a conversation piece.:chuckle

It seems the clutches behind LT1s sure can take some mileage- although you must be a good driver too.:upthumbs

The clutch isn't usually the problem, the flywheel is. You may have the later version of the dual mass flywheel. They put a shield over the seal so it don't get damaged. I had strange issues with my 90 that seem to have been grease getting on the clutch surface.

Glenn
:w

My old '92 had 103K when I had the motor pulled to add horsepower. While the engine was out, the clutch was checked and the 'rivet' heads on the clutch disk were just about to start touching the pressure plate - so it was replaced. I also did some autocross and drag racing. Generally, my old '92 was driven hard all the time so I consider getting over 100K out of the clutch pretty good. I've heard of clutches lasting many, many miles longer also and some not lasting nearly long enough.

I suppose, if it starts slipping on you, it's done.

The clutch isn't usually the problem, the flywheel is. You may have the later version of the dual mass flywheel. They put a shield over the seal so it don't get damaged. I had strange issues with my 90 that seem to have been grease getting on the clutch surface.

Glenn

I wonder what Year Started the "Later Version" ?

I wonder what Year Started the "Later Version" ?

I am quite sure it was after 90 because mine seemed to have leaked the grease/oil out of the seal. Which I believe destroyed my clutch. I suspect it was 91 or 92. I think the ZF Doc knows. He is the one that told me about it. The man knows corvette mechanics quite well, especially the ZF and the rest of the drive train.
Also the seal is the only reason that grinding the flywheels is not to successful.

Glenn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom