Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch pedal got stuck 2x in one day!!!

eRiCdWoNg

Corvette
98 pewter mn6 coupe
...never done it to me before twice in a day. I got out of work around 5:45ish, got to parking lot and went to pull back and it was fine at first then boom, the clutch felt like it released, had no tension and I was stuck. Bout 15 min later after banging it around it somewhat returned enough for me to at least release the clutch to shift gears. Eventually it returned 100% to normal.

Fastforwards a few hours I went to a party and parked my car at a friends. A few more hours later I go to back the car up it felt fine but all the sudden while backing... BOOM the clutch pedal sank to the floor and the car was reeling backwards. It was about to stall but I couldnt pull the car out of gear and the ebrake isnt strong enough to hold the moving car. I almost backed into a row of cars, that was scary. Once again I managed to get it to at least disengage the clutch at the very bottom at the floor . I drove into town (its now 2:30 AM so there was minimal traffic). I go to take the turn to the 24 hour ATM and while I clutch in I felt it happen again. I managed to get it into neutral so incase I needed it to be towed or pushed it wouldnt be stuck in gear. I managed to get the car back home, driving it with 1/2 the clutch pedal.

So technically it stuck on me three times and even now the clutch pedal as it sits in the garage is still "stuck down".

I've searched all the threads about the sticky clutch yet there still seems to be no 100% culprit. This really sux I cant have something this unreliable and unpredictable, its flat out unsafe. Most people seem to have this happen after a hard run but I seem to be quite the opposite. Mine only does it when the car has ben SITTING for a real LONG time!!!

I wonder if it has anything to do with it sitting/driving in the rain all day. My car is usually garage kept except at work and it has literally rained all day. First time its done that in a while. I wonder if it has anything to do with the colder weather and moisture cause I havent had this problem all summer, but it did do it last year when it was cold out.

Technical Service Bulletins Summary

Make: CHEVROLET
Model: CORVETTE
Year: 1998
Type: ANY
Service Bulletin Number: 3027
Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10008758
Summary Description: HARD CLUTCH PEDAL AND/OR HYDRAULIC SYSTEM FAILURE AFTER SERVICING THE PRESSURE PLATE. *TT

Service Bulletin Number: 051602
Date of Bulletin: MAY 16, 2002
NHTSA Item Number: 636688
Summary Description: COMPLAINTS OF THE CLUTCH PEDAL NOT RETURNING WHEN DEPRESSED. *TT

Service Bulletin Number: 051402
Date of Bulletin: MAY 15, 2002
NHTSA Item Number: 636671
Summary Description: SUBJECT REGARDING DISCOLORED HYDRAULIC CLUTCH FLUID. *TT

To request a copy of the service bulletin from the NHSTA, visit: NHSTA's Office of Defects Investigation

That's all I could turn up. Sorry. ;shrug

Well I went to the garage, checked my stuff and guess what the master cylinder was dry as a bone. Hmmm. This means I have a leak. I wonder where that came from, I never see anything on the garage floor but then again the entire system doesnt have too much to begin with. This might be good, so this means that I wont have the mess with replacing the entire clutch system (knocks wood).

I filled it back up and it bubbled a little so this means I gotta now bleed the system again, but immediately the pedal returned to its normal position and felt just fine.

Is there an area that is prone to leakage in the hydraulics? I did bleed the system once before.

sticky clutch problems

...never done it to me before twice in a day. I got out of work around 5:45ish, got to parking lot and went to pull back and it was fine at first then boom, the clutch felt like it released, had no tension and I was stuck. Bout 15 min later after banging it around it somewhat returned enough for me to at least release the clutch to shift gears. Eventually it returned 100% to normal.

Fastforwards a few hours I went to a party and parked my car at a friends. A few more hours later I go to back the car up it felt fine but all the sudden while backing... BOOM the clutch pedal sank to the floor and the car was reeling backwards. It was about to stall but I couldnt pull the car out of gear and the ebrake isnt strong enough to hold the moving car. I almost backed into a row of cars, that was scary. Once again I managed to get it to at least disengage the clutch at the very bottom at the floor . I drove into town (its now 2:30 AM so there was minimal traffic). I go to take the turn to the 24 hour ATM and while I clutch in I felt it happen again. I managed to get it into neutral so incase I needed it to be towed or pushed it wouldnt be stuck in gear. I managed to get the car back home, driving it with 1/2 the clutch pedal.

So technically it stuck on me three times and even now the clutch pedal as it sits in the garage is still "stuck down".

I've searched all the threads about the sticky clutch yet there still seems to be no 100% culprit. This really sux I cant have something this unreliable and unpredictable, its flat out unsafe. Most people seem to have this happen after a hard run but I seem to be quite the opposite. Mine only does it when the car has ben SITTING for a real LONG time!!!

I wonder if it has anything to do with it sitting/driving in the rain all day. My car is usually garage kept except at work and it has literally rained all day. First time its done that in a while. I wonder if it has anything to do with the colder weather and moisture cause I havent had this problem all summer, but it did do it last year when it was cold out.
Should have GM put out a service recall on this problem?;shrug

Well you have a leak. You should be able to find it. I would advise carrying some extra fluid in the car until you fix the issue.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom