Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Problems

twiget

Corvette
In the market
Every time I push in or release the clutch peddle I hear a clicking sound, kind of like pulling a zip tie tight. It only makes the sound at the top of the stroke, just as it catches. It dosent feel like the clutch is slipping any. It just started making the noise a few days ago. Any ideas?

Me too! Although it hasn't done it for a few days.
At first I thought throwout bearing, but after listening a little closer and realizing also that the bearing would squeal (I have experienced that noise!), I beginning to suspect the pressure plate.
At least I've been thinking about a clutch upgrade anyhow, it won't hurt as much this way. ;)

Get under the dash and make sure there's nothing impeading the action of the clutch pedal. Pay special attention to the clutch switches. Make sure they are not loose in their mounts and sliding back and forth as the clutch pedal arm touches them. If you don't have a problem there...

Get the car up in the air, have a pal work the clutch repeatedly.

Listen at the bellhousing, at the slave and at the clutch master for noise.

Thanks Hib, there's nothing conflicting inside. I'll crawl around underneath it when I get a "pal". ;)

CLUTCH PROBLEM

My 86 has had this problem before. What you need to do is replace the bushing that holds the clutch pedal to the master cylinder push rod. The plastic bushing is probably worn. If it breaks the clutch pedal will disconnect from the push rod and the pedal will go to the floor if this happens while your driving its pretty scary. It's pretty easy to fix you need to get under the dash and disconnect the pedal from the push rod (it's pretty tight under there) and snap in the new bushing. The GM part # of the old bushing that is in there now is 14094900. If you use that bushing it will eventually break again. Go to service bulletin #100 listed on this site in the service bulletin section for a list of part #'s for a permanent fix.

Re: CLUTCH PROBLEM

LAWNBOY said:
...the bushing that holds the clutch pedal to the master cylinder push rod.
The GM part # of the old bushing that is in there now is 14094900. If you use that bushing it will eventually break again.

Ooops! I forgot to get back to this thread. :eek:
I checked the bushing and it has already been replaced; I don't know if it's the part # recommended in the bulletins, but it is a metal Heim (joint? link? whatever it's called!) ;) Doesn't look like that one's gonna break.
I saw the coiled return spring and thought that maybe that was causing the noise, but while I stood outside of the car with the hood up and depressed the clutch, the noise could not be pin-pointed. :r I still think that my noise is pressure plate related; not serious, just squeaky. :rolleyes:
It doesn't do it all of the time, and it doesn't seem to matter if it's hot or cold. :s

Ken

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom