Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Cluth Operation

LannyL81

Corvette
81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk
After driving for just a few minutes, my clutch pedal takes more effort and it feels like it is binding. When I let the clutch out from a stop, it feels like its not going to release all the way. It also groans when pressed with the engine off.

Now this clutch only has at most 1000 miles on it. It is a stock type cluch from Valeo. Could this be the pressure plate is going out? Also starting to hear the throw-out bearing whine while driving.

I am going to try adjusting the pedal and put a bit of slack in the linkage and hope this solves this as I really do not want to put another clutch set in.

Ideas?

Make certain that your clutch cross shaft is lubed,and that the linkage is oiled and not binding.

Some time back my 81 clutch was groaning and engaging very hard and finally the cross shaft bracket let go.

Good thing it was in the garage at the time.

Also before dishing the clutch also make sure that the adjustment is correct,and you have about 1-13/4" free play at the top.

Ken

Under the car I found that the rod that goes into the clutch arm was very tight. Took the adjusting nuts loose and wiggled everything around...made sure the clutch arm tangs were still engaged to the throw-out bearing...put everything back, readjusted the clutch and all is fine.

I have smooth operation once again.

Not sure what the problem really was. Will see what happends next time I take it out for a longer drive than I did.

All is good for now at least.

Under the car I found that the rod that goes into the clutch arm was very tight. Took the adjusting nuts loose and wiggled everything around...made sure the clutch arm tangs were still engaged to the throw-out bearing...put everything back, readjusted the clutch and all is fine.

I have smooth operation once again.

Not sure what the problem really was. Will see what happends next time I take it out for a longer drive than I did.

All is good for now at least.
You will probly have to adjust it again in a couple thousand miles,Not un-common with a New Clutch and a Manual Linkage!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Make sure the clutch shaft is lubed. I just had to replace the clutch shaft bracket on mine. Talk about a pain! My shifts a lot better now once I adjusted everything.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom