Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Code 32 problem

L

Loaded 90

I was wondering what is the problem, the solenoid or the valve, vaccum lines or what? The light does not come on all the time but I would like for it not to come on at all. I can not tell the car runs any different. Where is the solenoid and how do you know if it is bad? I did a search but did not really find a answer. The car is a 1990 completly stock. Thanks for the help.

Mac

Mac,
Got the same issue with my 90. In round town and stop/go traffice it will not set a code. Get it on the highway at a constant state cruse and it will set code 32. But after awhile, 50 miles or so, the Check Engine light will go off. Also if I stop the engine and then restart, the light is gone.

Can anyone tell me if that would be because the valve is not closing, or that it is not opening, or if that would indicate something else wrong in the EGR system? I am totaly lost in the EGR operation.

tom...

Tom,

Can't really answer your technical question, but I can about the light going off after you shut the car down. Mechanic once told me that the light will go off, but the codes will be stored in the computer.

PS. Are you guys using the jump two terminals together with a paperclip and read the flashes on the screen method?

The most common cause of 32 is the switch that is on the pipe connecting the exhaust to intake. This is on the passenger side rear of engine near the distributor. The switch makes contact when the pipe is hot.

The solenoid that has two vacuum lines to it is actually a electric to vacuum module. Once triggered electrically it provides vacuum to the EGR valve. This solenoid is underneath the plenum on the drivers side, just behind the throttle body.

Yes, if an error code does not continue to be trapped over and over, the Service Engine light will go out, but any code trapped will remain in memory to be read until cleared.

Good luck,

Edmond said:
Can't really answer your technical question, but I can about the light going off after you shut the car down. Mechanic once told me that the light will go off, but the codes will be stored in the computer.

PS. Are you guys using the jump two terminals together with a paperclip and read the flashes on the screen method?
When you turn it off the existing code goes to history status. But is interesting that I turn it off while the code is current, and then trun it right back on and whatever set the code is okay, no new "current" code.

Yep use the paperclip method, but the 90 and later does not use the flashes method, they display the code and if it is current or history in the speedometer readout area.

LarryBible said:
The most common cause of 32 is the switch that is on the pipe connecting the exhaust to intake. This is on the passenger side rear of engine near the distributor. The switch makes contact when the pipe is hot.
Larry,
The 90 does not have a switch on the EGR pipe. That was only on earlier C4s. So.....

tom...

Larrybible, the switch on the egr pipe you are talking about where is it? Could this be my problem because I just took it off to do the valve covers? I did not see a switch. Is it a wire or what?

Thanks for all the help Mac

I think I found my problem. One of the 2 vaccum lines going to the EGR solenoid was not hooked up. It is the one that goes to the bottom of the throttle body. I will let you know if this fixed it.

Mac

Can the ones equipped with OBDII be diagnosed at home as well?

Loaded90,

Outstanding, when something breaks after doing work, you always go back to the last thing you did. This worked in your case. The vacuum line is probably the one that feeds the EGR control module. The module was getting a signal, but there was no vacuum to transfer to the EGR, thus the code.

Tom73,

Thanks for pointing this out, I thought it was an L98 and they were all the same. You learn something new every day.

Edmond,

For my OBDII vehicles I have not tried to find a simple way to blink the light like you can do on the earlier systems. I purchased software and use it on a laptop. I got this from EASE Diagnostics at: www.obd2.com Good luck,

Have a great day,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom