Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

composite spring

T

tomas

My 3 yr. old appx. 6000k composite spring failed in my 1970. My bubby's low time 1980 also failed! they were 315lb. TRW's. Both de-laminated front side near the diff. both driver's side.I just happened to spot mine. Anyone else have this problem?. This could be down right deadly!

Yoda

Administrator
Corvette
1981 UL5
tomas,
I moved this into the SHARK area.. interesting that 2 failed.. Hopefully you/we will get more comments here ;)
BudD
:w

J

jsimpson

I used a an 82 composite spring in mine. It had well over a hundred thousand miles in the 82 and has had well over 30,000 in my 78. No problems. I even dropped the car on a jackstand and the spring caught the fall. A little gouge, but no delamination. Chevy has been using these springs since 82; they are well proven!

Tom73

Corvette
73 LS4 Coupe - 04 CE Conv
I have a Vette Brakes composite spring on my LS4, no problems. Sounds like this may be a TRW issue rather than a composit spring issue.

tom...

C

c4ever

The composite on the 82 is fine with over 70k.

L

lytemup

do you have a picture (close up) of the failure?

S

Scott81

The factory fiberglass spring in my 81 failed while I was driving, went over a bump in the road and heard a loud cracking noise. I couldn't see the crack until I pulled the spring off, sure enough it had a small crack just to the outside of where it mounts to the differential, drivers side. Heat is also a bad thing for composite springs, make sure you have a heat shield in place. Since I have sidepipes it no longer matters, but I don't like Vette Brakes suspension products and bought a 7-leaf steel spring because I wanted a firmer ride.

I

inferno-vette

c4ever said:
The composite on the 82 is fine with over 70k.
;stupid

I think tom73 is right it is probably a TRW problem.
Paul

Corvette
08 Jetstream Blue Z51 coupe
GM actually first used the composite spring on the 81's. Mine is original with 56K for milage and no indications of deterioration. I do look it over closely whenever I have the car in the air for maintenance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom