Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Considering a 2002 coupe....advice?

C5-v06lflo.jpg

My "new" C5 is home, it was an interesting day! My wife couldn't have been more...uh..."pleasant" at the dealer...and if u believe that 1 I gotta bridge fer u in Arizona no less! OTOH the presentation and delivery...uh-huh...a Cormier Chevy wannabe. For those not familiar with L.A. that is a big fast track T.O. house that you couldn't pay me to do business with. Anyhoo, let's just say I "rescued" my C5 and let it go at that!

After we finally took delivery, bypassing the oh-so-generous offers for mega $$$ warranty "insurance"; well, my wife and son went grocery shopping while I went in search of back roads. First I had to fill the almost empty tank...class dealership, huh? Did find some typical n. IN. lumpy, bumpy back roads with a few curves...oh yes, no doubt this is indeed a performance SPORTScar despite my wifes' comments to the contrary relative to the MSM MX-5. I would have been, literally, airbourne had I been dummmm enough to try those roads at the speeds I did with even my '94 C4. My C5 stayed planted...all 4, despite having replacement bound o.e. Goodyears. The room and seats, once I got it adjusted and memory set for me, are very good. The ride is gr8. Brakes are outstanding and are capable of haulinn her down from the rapidly attained...uh...elevated velocities the LS 1 easily attains.

Yup...one happy, pleased new C5 owner. Sure did like my C4s, but the C5 is indeed a vast functional improvement.

OlMM despite her *****inn promptly feel asleep-windows down-while headed north on I-69 and west on IN 120! Had to resort to the cruise as I kept finding myself up at 70-75 0n 120 which is a nixoian 55....never felt like it. Finally on some MI backroads west of Howe, IN she INSISTED on driving this (p.o.s.) Corvette. Oh...gee...this is fun............well, duuhh. Of course with her driving the plugs could get carboned up, but whatever...I can cure that in a few miles!

When we got home I couldn't stand the filthy appearance of my car (oh...the dealer "cleaned" it...right, Ray Charles could have done better!) So despite the fact that I shouldn't be doing that currently (and will probably "pay" for it in a few hours-due to the operation) MY C5 now is washed and waxed...looks pretty good for the first time thru! A positive side benefit of hand washing and waxing a car is that I really get to "feel" the surfaces. My opinion of Cafaro's design work on the body has vaulted skyward. That car is one sophisticated, flowing surface after another, abruptly chopped at the rear for functional reasons. I could replicate that type of flowing surfacing but it would not be easy, at all. Very creative and professional ID work! I still like the C4 as a pc. of timeless GM design work but the C5 is far better than I had thought from afar, so to speak.

Am I glad I traded the 2 for 1? YUPPURR! This could be the start of something really good.....one happy C5 owner....DFO :D

I just picked mine up Wednesday. I feel the same way about the comparison to the C4. I still have my '88 in the driveway but I really like the C5 much better.

I forgot to say that I think that the Electron Blue is a great color. Your car looks great. Did the dealer not put your Pilots on as agreed?

They don't do business with The Tire Rack (duuhhh...) so whoever they do work with couldn't even match Tire Rack's regular price let alone beat it. So they will cut me a check and next Saturday I will be at the South Bend, IN Tire Rack (@ 25 miles away) to have them properly mount, balance and install the new PS a/s + keep the air pressure sensors functional....and no more lousy clip on wts on the outside of my $1200 wheels. Won't that look lovely when they are pulled?

Based on what I saw of this Auburn, IN Chevy dealership today....well, if I never have anything further to do with them, let alone their service dept on a Corvette, it will be OK by me. I guess Basney Honda in South Bend has spoiled me as far as good sales, delivery and fine service dept. Fortunately there is a local area independent Vette shop; not cheap...but CAPABLE!
The important thing is that my blue C5 is home in her spot in the garage...and tomorrow b4 the next batch of rain comes in I do believe she and I will get further "acquainted"!!! DFO :D

Hi

The last true sports car that l had was an MGA 1600 with power nothing and no a/c. It was slow, uncomfortable and handled poorly but it was a true sports car.

Mine was a 1957 Triumph TR3...repair tools and spare belts: don't leave home with them :rotfl !

Hi

I also had the spitfire which nothing more then a go-cart, but boy could it handle turns.

It felt like l was taking turns at 50mph when l was really only going 30 mph and l felt like l was sitting right off the ground. This was probably the worst reliable car l have ever owned.

Alan

Try a Mazdaspeed MX-5....that is a razor sharp go-kart on steroids, but I'll take my "new" C5: roomy, not cramped. Not to mention the 350hp and 360#' of torque...wheee, almost as much go fast as some of my bikes. DFO ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom