Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

considering a c4

L

LABruin322

Hi,

I am considering buying a c4 corvette as my next car, and I was hoping to get a few questions answered. Where I live, there are many c4's with less than 50k miles that have been garaged all their life, and I was hoping to replace my 2000 mustang (80k miles) with one.

I have read on this forum that the c4's ride quite rough. How hard is the ride compared to a Mustang? I plan on this car being a daily driver.

Even if I buy a pampered, low mileage car, a 1996 is still 12 years old. What is the likelihood that I would have to pay for major repair work on this car? Would it be similar to a 2002 car with the same miles?

How is the performance of an automatic 1996 c4 compared to a 2000 v6, stick shift mustang? Do you think the increase in speed is enough to justify buying this car?

What is the quality on the c4 like? I know American automakers have a reputation for sketchy quality, especially in the 1980's and 1990's. The Mustangs for that year weren't too great. I understand, though, that a Corvette is a much higher-grade car than a Mustang.

Thank you very much for any replies!

Just some quick thoughts here, I'm sure you'll end up with some more in depth opinions soon too...

Go for a 92-96 model, this will get you into the LT series motors and the later years had really been fine tuned to get some of the bugs out.

The auto transmissions put in these cars were very good and to me would simply be a difference of preference of auto vs stick and not one over the other for performance or reliability reasons.

If you're really wanting major performance, find an LT4 instead of an LT1, or if you can do it, go for a ZR1 with the LT5.

As for the miles/age/parts replacement, many of these cars are topping 150k, even 200k without major problems. U joints, weather stripping, normal engine components such as alternator, distributor, water pump, battery, things like that if they haven't been replaced might need to be considered in the somewhat near future although this would change from car to car...if it aint broke, don't fix it. A car that's been properly serviced and driven on a regular basis instead of sitting for long periods of time to keep everything moving and working well on it you may not need to fix anything at all on it hardly for quite some time.

C4's do not ride rough, my 92 is very comfortable even on long trips.

I bought an '88 coupe in 2002 and drove it for four years as my daily driver. It had 88K miles on it when I bought it. When I got it I had to replace the computer right away. Other than that the only problem that I had was a broken flywheel. While I had the transmission off I had them rework it. It was $1,350 and it happened at 144K miles.

The L98 ('84 to mid-'91) and the LT1 (91 & up) are, as my mechanic put it, essentially small black 350s and should last a long time.

I bought a 2002 convertible and I intened to keep the '88 as a DD but I like the '02 enough that I just used it instead.

So I sold my '88 with ~164K miles to a buyer from Ohio (I think) and he flew in and rove it home.

The C4 is a great deal. The seats that were in mine are more comfortable than the seats in my '08 coupe. I like the ride. It has much greater road feel than the C5 or C6. I don't miss the door sill on the C4 though.

One thing that commonly seems to fail in the LT1 is the Optispark and that is a $800-$1,000 repair. It seems that is is often damaged by water. If I remember right the '94 and higher has a better Optispark design.

As far as performance a C4 with the LT1 will out perform evan a new 300HP Mustang GT.

I waxed every Mustang GT that antagonized me enough to make me race. A 6 cylinder Mustang is not even close enough to fool with.

A well maintained C4 is a bargain.:thumb

If you happen to get a car with the Z51 (1996) or the Z07 (92-95) performance handling package (I'm speaking about later models 92-94, OK?) the ride will be "stiff" some might say rough, but I don't really think they are that bad. I have the Z07 option on my 94 and it is a "firm" ride. I really don't think it's that bad, but the standard suspension, RPO FE1 (I think) will give you a cushier ride.

Just try to find one that has complete maintenance records.

If you get an automatic get the 3.07 rear gears, even with a LT1 with the 2.59 it is a real dog. Your best bet would be a 96 LT4 with 6 speed or LT1 with six speed. You can put 4.09 rear gears in it and still have good drivability.

Ok this is coming from someone who has owned 5 Mustangs from 1966,1983,1986, 1987,and a 1999. I've driven my share of the new ones as well.

I numbered your questions so I could answer them better. This my OPINION and is not fact.

1. I have read on this forum that the c4's ride quite rough. How hard is the ride compared to a Mustang?

Ever drove a late model Cobra mustang ? maybe with some Eiback springs ? its about the same. The Vette rides much stiffer, but feels more stable. The vette has independent susp. so the stiff ride isn't transfered into the cockpit like on a solid axle stang. However it is stiff. Don't kid yourself. Its the roughest stock ride of any automobile I've ever driven with the exception of maybe a Porsche 944 Turbo or a Mazda RX 7 GTU.
However it will produce about 1g of force in a turn and that is a LOT. Prolly more than most folks have the cohoona's for. A vette handles better than 98% of the driving public can use.

2. Even if I buy a pampered, low mileage car, a 1996 is still 12 years old. What is the likelihood that I would have to pay for major repair work on this car?

Very likely. The C4 is is full of electronic gizmos. Black boxes and PRE- OBDII engine managment systems. However, its not like something falls off at each turn. The C4 is just like any other sports car, its built to be fast first and foremost and compromises in build quality exist due to that philosophy. Ever see a Ferrarri with 100k on the clock ? A Lambo ?
I haven't. So GM's compromise works best I think. It will break.
Just be prepared for when it does.

The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

I rest my case here.

3. Would it be similar to a 2002 car with the same miles?

No. A 2002 has better engine management electronics ( coil on plug ignition etc.) and is more efficient. Manufacturing techniques have changed as well. Don't expect a 199X vette to last like V6 2002 Mustang.
Two different cars for two different purposes. The vette has enough HP's to wear out drivetrain parts and the V6 'stang doesn't. The vette has enough power to get stupid, its easier to break things. :W

If the vette isnt pounded on like a race car everyday, it will stay together up to 200k miles or more.

4. How is the performance of an automatic 1996 c4 compared to a 2000 v6, stick shift mustang?

Not even close. The vette will suck the paint right off that Pony car in every aspect. It will turn circles around it and leave the Mustang in a cloud of burnt rubber. Remember the vette was made to go fast, first and foremost. The handling is REALLY different. 13.x seconds for the vette in the quarter and maybe 15.0 for the pony. No comparison.

The vette would spank that Pony all the way home and get real close to the same MPG's.

5. Do you think the increase in speed is enough to justify buying this car?

Depends, if you can get by with a two seat vehicle. It also depends on what you want to do in the car. Its not just about speed, its about style, and knowing you have a car that was built for speed.

It's about having little kids give you the thumbs up :thumb:thumb:thumb

and the wave, and American history. Duntov and Harley Earl. :chuckle

When was the last time you had people lined up to go for a ride in the Mustang ? :beer

Or had a troup of Cubscouts ask you to bring your Mustang to show at the Cubmobile race ? ;)

Ever had a car load of women whistle at you because you were in a Mustang ? :D

Vette ownership is a unique experience.

6. What is the quality on the c4 like?

I've had my 1995 torn apart down to the shell. Some questionable build practices are in place. However, the Mustang is just as bad if not worse.

If things like fit and finish are of great concern to you, a C4 may not be the best car for you. I feel its the best compromise for the money however.

If you want a high quality sports car, and can afford it, get something from Germany. Just expect to pay about twice as much for it. Is a Porsche twice as good as the vette in Quality ? NO ! just twice the price.

Other than that, go for it ! If you must have a C4, I say go for the latest one you can afford. If you buy one, don't buy the first one and do your homework about the features etc. of the car.

A list of things to check exist on this site, I think in the knowledge section.

CHECK EVERYTHING ON THE LIST !

One last item. Vettes live longer if they have been garaged and not left to the elements. Buy a garage queen if you can.

If its going to sit outside when you buy it, consider a cover.

Good luck !

;)

I know I sound like an old mother-in-law on this but it bears repeating;
Buying a Vette and owning a Vette are two different things. Even a well maintained, late C4 (LT1-LT4) will cost at least a couple of $grand$ a year to keep it running right and looking good . Don't kid yourself into thinking it won't! (and that's if you like wrenching on it yourself!) Using a C4 as a daily driver is a dicey propositon :eek:hnoes(plan on a rental car from time to time). Now . . all that said . . . is it worh it?

You bet your Sebring Silver A$$ it is!!!:_rock:dancenaughty:_rock:dancenaughty:_rock:dancenaughty

I bought my 90 June of 05. It had 69 k on it. Now with 90k on it I have spent less than $2000 on it including tires and a clutch this summer. $1000 of that was the clutch, which I think was on it's way out when I bought it.I don't drive hard so it lasted awhile after it started showing signs of wear.
I do all my own repairs so there is no labor or dealer markup on the parts. I love driving this car,it drives so much easier than anything else I have ever driven.Unless there is another in the garage it isn't leaving.
I have found it to be very dependable.

Glenn
:w

All very good responses so far, and I'd like to add my two cents. If you get the opportunity, take a test drive in a c4. The handling is worlds apart from a mustang. The corvette, especially the c4, rides and handles like a sports car. It's like a go-cart, small fast and light. I love my 08 Corvette, but it rides like a high-powered cadillac, and the road feel is kind of truncated. I started out my Corvette obsession by owning several c4s, the road feel and feedback is exceptionally good, and you can feel all four corners of the car while you're out driving, especially on curved roads. It's a very confident car and you can quickly learn its limits; after you get to know it, it really does feel like an extension of your body. Some people like to say that you "wear" a C4, a sentiment with which I agree.

If you're worried about quality, buy a Toyota. The c4s aren't known for superior quality to begin with, never mind the fact that they're all aging, as machines do. I have a long long list of things I've replaced over the years before I got tired of the never-ending repairs and traded up to something that doesn't need to be fixed every weekend. But I don't think you're looking at any major repairs, the L98 and LT1 engines are quite durable for many thousands of miles, when I sold my 90 convertible it had 150,000 miles on the original engine and still purred like a kitten.

The quality of any c4 you buy will depend on the maintenance it received from the previous owner(s). Personally, I would never consider a car that had any custom work done to it, especially stereos, alarms, body kits, or any other electronic stuff, for one thing you have no idea who did the work they could have chopped up wiring harnesses or performed a crappy job. Example: I once looked at a car where they installed a new stereo, and there were wires visible all over the place; they obviously didn't care about a professional installation, so what else didn't they care about? I don't know about you, but it raises alarm bells for me when I see twelve wires all grounded to one bolt.

How often was the oil changed? The brake fluid? Was the transmission serviced? Do the headlights operate properly? Was the car ever in an accident and if so was the frame bent? Is the paint mismatched on the doors, the bumpers, the quarter panels? There's a million little things that could be wrong with a used car. Yes the c4 is a great little car, and even today it has technological advancements that are still equal to or superior to most of the other cars out on the road, but I think if you buy wisely you'll have a car that you can cherish for years to come.

I don't mean to sound like a windbag, these are just my experiences with the c4 after having owned four of them. You're getting a lot for your money: the transversely-mounted springs, the extensive use of aluminum in the drive train and suspension, the excellent brakes, the superb visibility, the decent gas mileage, the great handling; with all of these things that the c4 has to offer, it's a bargain.

All very good responses so far, and I'd like to add my two cents. If you get the opportunity, take a test drive in a c4. The handling is worlds apart from a mustang. The corvette, especially the c4, rides and handles like a sports car. It's like a go-cart, small fast and light. I love my 08 Corvette, but it rides like a high-powered cadillac, and the road feel is kind of truncated. I started out my Corvette obsession by owning several c4s, the road feel and feedback is exceptionally good, and you can feel all four corners of the car while you're out driving, especially on curved roads. It's a very confident car and you can quickly learn its limits; after you get to know it, it really does feel like an extension of your body. Some people like to say that you "wear" a C4, a sentiment with which I agree.

If you're worried about quality, buy a Toyota. The c4s aren't known for superior quality to begin with, never mind the fact that they're all aging, as machines do. I have a long long list of things I've replaced over the years before I got tired of the never-ending repairs and traded up to something that doesn't need to be fixed every weekend. But I don't think you're looking at any major repairs, the L98 and LT1 engines are quite durable for many thousands of miles, when I sold my 90 convertible it had 150,000 miles on the original engine and still purred like a kitten.

The quality of any c4 you buy will depend on the maintenance it received from the previous owner(s). Personally, I would never consider a car that had any custom work done to it, especially stereos, alarms, body kits, or any other electronic stuff, for one thing you have no idea who did the work they could have chopped up wiring harnesses or performed a crappy job. Example: I once looked at a car where they installed a new stereo, and there were wires visible all over the place; they obviously didn't care about a professional installation, so what else didn't they care about? I don't know about you, but it raises alarm bells for me when I see twelve wires all grounded to one bolt.

How often was the oil changed? The brake fluid? Was the transmission serviced? Do the headlights operate properly? Was the car ever in an accident and if so was the frame bent? Is the paint mismatched on the doors, the bumpers, the quarter panels? There's a million little things that could be wrong with a used car. Yes the c4 is a great little car, and even today it has technological advancements that are still equal to or superior to most of the other cars out on the road, but I think if you buy wisely you'll have a car that you can cherish for years to come.

I don't mean to sound like a windbag, these are just my experiences with the c4 after having owned four of them. You're getting a lot for your money: the transversely-mounted springs, the extensive use of aluminum in the drive train and suspension, the excellent brakes, the superb visibility, the decent gas mileage, the great handling; with all of these things that the c4 has to offer, it's a bargain.

I'm not near as smart as all the members above, especially Ugolino but I have owned five corvettes starting with a 59 roadster. I currently own a 2003 C-5 and an 84 C-4. The ride in the 59 was the worst, the C-3 the best and the C-4 and C-5 are really quite acceptable. Everything that could be said has been, but I like to point out the LT1 is a great engine, however the only major drawback is the optispark unit. BUT, that doesn't mean you cars opti-spark is bad or is going to be bad. Overall the C-4 platform is a really comfortable excellant handling and reliable automobile. Many, many have gone up to and past 200K miles without so much as a hiccup. Plus the car overall is ultra sturdy and a 96 is going to be the pinical of th quality and refinments. Plus if somewhere down the road you'd like to increase the performance capibility of your car there's no end to what you can do.

Great advice and points made in this thread!

The only thing I could add would be a link to the Corvette Action Center Model Center HERE for research on individual models...

...and this link to the Corvette Action Center Buyer's Checklist HERE for a printout which can be carried along when looking at a Corvette.

Good luck!
:wJane Ann

If you get an automatic get the 3.07 rear gears, even with a LT1 with the 2.59 it is a real dog. Your best bet would be a 96 LT4 with 6 speed or LT1 with six speed. You can put 4.09 rear gears in it and still have good drivability.

I wouldn't exactly call a car that will do 60 in less than six seconds a dog. The auto has a real deep first gear (3.06) to somewhat offset the 2.59's and they come in real handy at the gas pump!

My 67 is a four speed and lots of fun, but if I had only one it would be an automatic. They are good for touring and parades. City traffic is much easier and anyone can drive it. The more I tour and the older I get the more I think about what would happen if I were out and couldn't drive back. Anybody's co-pilot on the tour could drive it home, but not so for a four or six speed.

Just some thoughts ............................... Griz

My '95 is a six speed with 3:54 gears. It's a LOT of work and gear changes in heavy traffic. I couldn't imagine a parade, my leg would probably just fall off afterword. :W

No way I would I use it as my daily driver. I could if I just HAD to, but for everyday use an automatic is the way to go for me.

:thumb

:beer

I have the six speed,, my wife loves driving it.The only place it is an issue is on hills.
Normal driving I only use 3 gears. Start in first, then to third , then to sixth. When slowing for a turn down to second then forth and on to sixth.. Isn't like it is a lot of work. I do live in a rural area but often drive in the city, I don't mind it at all.Plus the six speed will do better than the auto on mileage.

Glenn

I have the six speed,, my wife loves driving it.The only place it is an issue is on hills.
Normal driving I only use 3 gears. Start in first, then to third , then to sixth. When slowing for a turn down to second then forth and on to sixth.. Isn't like it is a lot of work. I do live in a rural area but often drive in the city, I don't mind it at all.Plus the six speed will do better than the auto on mileage.

Glenn
There ain't Nut'n Like a Manual!!!:thumb

I have 3 6 sp's,1 4sp,1 3sp and 1 automatic!!
:Steer:lou:bu :D:D:D

As a new vette owner (87) all i can say is read, and when i say that, dont do what I did, read but not comprehend. Vettes are uber cheap right now, so make sure you get the one you want. I read alot before i bought mine, but getting in and driving one... WOW it sorta puts a haze in the head and you dont think straight. My best advice, after all that reading, go look, and if you like one, look at it 2-5 times and then find all the stuff wrong (there is almost always something, no matter how little) then price up the replacement/fix money.. I honestly paid to much for mine, I have put about 2 more grand into it and its still only so-so.. 2-3 more to go i would guess.. and that will put it at about 6 grand more then i could sell it for..

with all that said, MAN I LOVE THIS CAR! Mine is manual, i wanted an Auto.. now I'm not so sure, its damn fun and sometimes scarry in wet weather. I have drove lots of the new "fast cars" and they are fast, no doubt about it.. but they sound like angry bee's, look like the same car your grandma drives (with a v-tech sticker, or S-[insert cool soounding slang here] sticker) but nothing beats the rumble of a v-8 and the look of a vette.

Once again, read, read and read some more.

Clok

I had an 89 as a daily driver 8 years ago and now have a 90 as a weekend car. I love C-4s, but I'd never depend on one for a daily driver unless you can walk to work. I sold my 89 and bought a honda. I'd say get a year or two old honda civic and then get a C-4 when you can as a toy car. I can tell you that it's a lot more fun to tinker with the car when it doesn't have to get you to work the next day.

Scott

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom