Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Considering get rid of the Vette

skitch

Corvette
'90 Artic White Convertible
I've been thinking about getting rid of my 90 Vert. While I enjoy the car, it sits way more than I drive it. And when it sits, it develops problems. Like now it has some sort of fuel issues. When I get that straightend out it will be something else. I'm not computer savy enough to work on this thing. So , what I'm thinking is going back to a C3 , something withh basic electronic and carberation. Things I Can fix. I have not really made up my mind, but wanted some input from my fellow Covette owners.

I've been thinking about getting rid of my 90 Vert. While I enjoy the car, it sits way more than I drive it. And when it sits, it develops problems. Like now it has some sort of fuel issues. When I get that straightend out it will be something else. I'm not computer savy enough to work on this thing. So , what I'm thinking is going back to a C3 , something withh basic electronic and carberation. Things I Can fix. I have not really made up my mind, but wanted some input from my fellow Covette owners.

I went from C3 to an Fbody... back to that C3... then to a new C5... back to another C3... and then to an Fbody. :W

Always remember- Follow your bliss. Life is short! :thumb

The computer stuff is fairly easy though. Have you looked at this book? It does a great job of explaining TPI for folks who want to do a swap- although this would help anyone who wants to learn about TPI. Check it out- might help.

615a05uql6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Drive em or sell em! :w
Thats right! I've sold some nice cars thru the years because of that. 67 RS/SS 396 Camaro, 69 Chevelle among others.
I will look into that book for sure,
Thanks

Like now it has some sort of fuel issues.
Exactly what kind of "fuel issues"? I had some "fuel issues" with my '91 and it turned out to be bad fuel injectors. Funny thing was that it ran like crap but never threw a code. The easiest way to find out is to get a meter (you have a meter, right?) and measure the resistance. It should be something like 14.4 ohms (IIRC). If not, its time to replace them.

My dealer wanted $200 to install new fuel injectors. That seemed like a pretty reasonable price, until he told me that was $200 EACH!

I just bought a set of Accel 24lb fuel injectors for $269. You can do it yourself if you are so inclined or take it to a dealer. I think they get about 4 hours shop time for this. My dealer has no problems with me bringing in my own parts.

Good luck!

Exactly what kind of "fuel issues"? I had some "fuel issues" with my '91 and it turned out to be bad fuel injectors. Funny thing was that it ran like crap but never threw a code. The easiest way to find out is to get a meter (you have a meter, right?) and measure the resistance. It should be something like 14.4 ohms (IIRC). If not, its time to replace them.

My dealer wanted $200 to install new fuel injectors. That seemed like a pretty reasonable price, until he told me that was $200 EACH!

I just bought a set of Accel 24lb fuel injectors for $269. You can do it yourself if you are so inclined or take it to a dealer. I think they get about 4 hours shop time for this. My dealer has no problems with me bringing in my own parts.

Good luck!
The car starts and idles, but is flooding out badly. Bogs down when I give it gas. I will chek the injectors. What is stock lbs for injectors? On another thread someone recommended some for $169 and had good luck with them.

The car starts and idles, but is flooding out badly. Bogs down when I give it gas. I will chek the injectors. What is stock lbs for injectors? On another thread someone recommended some for $169 and had good luck with them.

You'll be sorry, so don't do it. Fing a good Corvette tech (I'm lucky as I have a 'Corvette only' shop about 45 miles from me) But I have made WAAAY too many automotive mistakes in the past. I own one of the nicest C5's I've ever seen and I don't care what happens, I'm not parting with it. I wrote to CorvetteFever about the current state of thing in our hobby, and they printed my letter, April 2010,page 6 which sums up my feelings about our beloved hobby. But If I were you, I'd just spend the small amount and have the injector problem sorted out and go on with your beautiful Corvette. I'm sure you have collector insurance so it doesn't cast all that much to simply keep your pride and joy. The back roads of South Carolina are magnificent, as is the whole State, I love SC, spent a few years there and for a 'yankee' I was treated like family and loved the place. nothing like southern hospitality ! :w

On my 88, the injectors ohmed ok but they leaked/slobbered. Went with Bosch III from FIC for $169.00 and the car never ran better.

Like the recommendation from Kane, get smarter on how TPI works. Having the GM service manual, a book on how TPI works, and the experts on this forum built up my confidence. I've saved big dollars on solving my own issues. Replaced ECM because it wasn't sending serial data and replaced injectors (I find Bosch IIIs are both cost affordable and run better than stock).

I do my own repairs and its fustrating to me when I can't figure it out. I have the FSM and I have used it alot. I'm going to fing that TPI Swappers book on amazon today and order it. The car is always stored inside, so its not weathering or anything. I get her going again and take her for a ride up thru the mountains here, I'm sure I'll change my mind. The car is alot of fun and gets great milage, unbelievable for a Vette!

I found the book on Amazon.com. List price $19.95,,,, marked out. Used $45.94, new $55.00 ! Whats up with that? I guess Ebay will be next, while I'm at it I'lll look for injectors. It sounds like everyone likes the 24lb injectors by Bocsh:W

Hate to say it but you may change your mind when you try to sell. Our C-4's are as many have said over and over, worthless (if you have any money into them to begin with) for resale. Corvettes (as with any collector car) all will have the low point in there value. My father is a HUGE 56 chevy nut, he has lot of 55, 56 and 57 cars. We used to get every one we cold back in the 80's and I would say we have 30-50 cars. Most are parts cars, 4 doors etc.. but alot of the cars we got back then and assumed would be "parts" cars are now cars people want to restore (even the 4-doors!). His pride is a 56 convert that he got for like 3 grand.. you couldnt buy it now for 15 grand....

Point is, if you really want to sell, now isnt the time. our C-4's are at an all time low unless they are super low mileage or prestine. But unless something really goes wonky, the price will start to climb and the value will be back in a few years. but right now they are almost free. I bought My first vette 2 years ago... after 20+ years of dreaming I found one that was what i considered CHEAP. Well I was wrong. I have put maybe $3000 into it in 2 years and today I would be lucky if i could get what I paid for it (by e-bay and other cars i have seen for sale (that actually sell)).

regret? some, I love the car, love to drive it and am actually getting it out of garage today for first time since it went in before winter. Still to wet to relly drive it. But I know if i could do it over I would have spent more money for a better one (still probebly bought a C-4, but a newer one) and looked harder. But hindsite is 20-20.. Love the car, do not reget a vette, and only slightly regret the one i did buy.. never when I'm driving it.. but somtimes when i see a cheap better one, or when i buy a new part..

hang onto it unless you somehow get what you want (good luck). it will gain its value again, but only with time.

You want 22 lb injectors not 24 lb for a stock L98 with stock programming. FIC is excellent source of Bosch IIIs. I just swapped in Bosch IIIs for under $200. That cost included injectors, new plenum and TB gaskets, and o-rings. I totally agree with other Bosch III user comments that it makes the engine feel like new. C4 sometimes a real pain in the axx to work on. Seems like 10 extra steps to gain access to the actual part I want to work on. This is my second C4, and would buy another. But in the end it is worth it to me. Learning something new, pride that I could do it myself, and somehow ending up with more tools. I've got three rainy day projects in mind; new steering wheel, replace B pillar weatherstrip, and replace the faded cloth on the dash speakers dummy plates.

This exactly what I was looking for. All the comments from other Corvette owners have convenced me to keep the car. I will be doing some needed maintance on it before I start driving it again. Like the intake manifold is leaking oil out or the back side towards the dist. and valve cover gaskets too. This car has 90k miles on it and not much has ever been done to it for my knowlege.
Considering this car was 40 grand new and what I gave for it was a forth of that, I think I'm doing good. Any 20 year old car requires maintance.With the right imformation I think I can fix it myself.
Thanks guys, I'm keeping it!:beer

If you need to replace the manifold gasket, then this is a great time to replace the injectors. After removing the plenum and fuel rails, I discoverd the manifold just needed to be torqued down to spec. So far, that has resolved the leak I had. Check the fuel pressure on the passanger side rail. This is an easy process, and you will want to have the results to compare before and after changing the injectors. Not sure about 1990, but the multec injectors used in 1989 have internal coils that are exposed to gasoline for cooling purposes. Gasoline sold today with alcohol eats away at the protective coating. Keep us posted on your progress!!!

Dooooooooon’t...do...it! :ugh

I wish I still had my C4. I have a beeeeeeauuuuutiful C5 now and I love it but my C4, I was restoring it and it was sweet. I had to get rid of it for personal reasons.

I would love to have it back. :confused

I put in the 24 lb. Accel injectors and now she runs like she just left Bowling Green! The actual spec is something like 23.92 lbs. If you want even higher performance, there is a company called RC Engineering that makes injectors, but they run $80-100 a piece, which is still half the price of AC Delco!

Be careful when you look because some web sites will say that 30 lb. injectors will work on this car! I have never done this, but I understand it takes some reprogramming. Also, do not get remanufactured or refurbished injectors. Brand new ones don't cost that much more.

As far as the leak at the intake manifold... well... this is pretty expensive repair... like 4-figures expensive, most of it being labor.

But still... it is all worth it, IMHO. But then again, I am biased!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom