Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

constant oil pressure

bobmo

Corvette
1987 Bright red, 1974 coupe--Basket case
I have noticed that the oil pressure on my '87 is constantly at 80psi. (digital dashboard display)
While I should be happy, I have some serious doubts this is the real OP.
Has anyone seen this situation before and whats the likely culprit.
Otherwise the car runs great. No noise and normal oil consumption.

Thanks,
Bob

Don't know what the pegged value is on the digital, but it sounds to me like you might have a grounded sensor wire. Just a thought.

Pete

I suspect a definite problem....maybe a bad pressure switch. My '86 oil pressure is all over the place, running from a low of 18-20 pounds at idle on a real hot day up to 55-60 when cold. If fluctuates from 20-50 when leaving a stop light and shifting thru the gears....I would be concerned....sorry

If you are looking for a true O/P reading, you have to get a special gauge and read it off the oil filter cartridge assembly. There is a little Allen head type bolt (that looks like the rear end oil filler cap) you remove and install the hose and gauge to. This will tell what the true pressure reading is on your engine.
80PSI sounds a little to high. My guess would be the oil pressure sending unit on the block that is faulty. Replace the sending unit and see if it changes the reading on the dash?

Thanks
I will have a go through the wires this weekend!
I guess thats why I bought the books.

You have a bad oil pressure sending unit. Mine did the same thing, replaced the sending unit and all is well...
It is located underneath the distributor on the drivers side. There is 2 units there, one is a pressure sending unit for the dash and the other is a pressure sensor that lets the ECM know that there is oil pressure to let the engine start. I replaced both of them for piece of mind.

Its the sending unit or a grounded wire.

The sending unit is a fuel-filter-looking cylinder stuck into the back of the intake manifold. You would need to pull the wiper motor to get at it, if you wanna make it easier than that, you can pull the distributor.

The sender costs about $16.

Eagle85C4 said:
...lets the ECM know that there is oil pressure to let the engine start.

On start-up, the sender is bypassed. ;)

_ken :w

What could have happened is the guy who had the car before you might have replaced the sender with one for a light rather than a gauge. This will cause it to be "all or nothing". I bet if you replace it with the correct one it will return to normal.

One possible reason he did this, is this is the case, is that the one for the gauge is more expensive than the one for the light.

-Dave C.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom