Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Construction equipment width

What I recommend is a layer of 3/4 gold nuggets,about foot thick.They allow for good drainage.Also note because of the high density winter plowing has little or no effect.

Pseudomind said:
I would suggest to lay a complete drive out of gravel or whatever you use, and then come back and remove about one inch down the center and sodding that in with grass. That way when driven over the wheel trails will not tend to squish towards the center.

Howard,

That's an interesting observation...........one that I hadn't considered. Thanks.

I'm certainly not a Typar salesman, but I've had enough experience with it to have a firm belief in its capabilities to stabalize the base of any roadway or parking lot.

I did a little Googeling and found a product that might be exactly what you are looking for. Check out Grassy Pavers

Now you have even more to think about....better call Doug and go have a :beer

:w

You guys were very helpful on the driveway. How are you on plumbing? :D

I'd like to run water lines to the garage, but there are several questions to deal with:

1) Are there any pressure-drop issues with running an underground line 100 feet from the house?

2) Which pipe material is best underground? Plastic? Copper? Other?

3) Pipe diameter between the house and the garage?

4) Waste water? This is probably more of a problem than incoming potable. Our new place is on septic. The garage will be approximately 100 feet from the house, and I'm assuming that the local municipality will be very fussy about how I get the garage waste hooked into the septic.

Any comments would be appreciated. :w

Is this actually one big home garage or is this to be a commercial garage?

I am sure Canada has their version of the EPA, so what do you mean by this?

67heaven said:
I'm assuming that the local municipality will be very fussy about how I get the garage waste hooked into the septic.

If you are connecting a bathroom facility, that is one thing, but if you going to be doing floor drains where petroleum fluids might get washed down then you may need another septic type waste holding tank (there would be no output feed lines), which has to be pumped out when full, naturally at a cost to you.

The other I have no idea, except what you probably already know about pipes ran below the freeze line.

Good luck

Howard,

It will be equivalent to a 3.5 or 4-bay residential garage and I'd like to include a shower, sink and toilet...........thus human waste.

Any chemical waste, from working on the cars, will be handled separately.

Around here, I'll go down at least 4.5 feet to escape the cold. I guess that means drilling a hole through the house foundation to hook into the water pipes.

What I meant about the municipality being fussy is the business of connecting to the existing septic system. I won't know until I talk to them, but I wonder if they insist on connecting at the outside of the house foundation, or inside the foundation? I'm curious if others have dealt with detached garage waste into either an existing septic system, or to city sewers.

Can't remember if you already told me but are you on well water or is it piped in city water? With you on a septic system I'd imagine it's a well so you'll have to watch your water pressure etc. You might have to put a seperate pump to the well since it's only for the garage (ie Washing etc) rather than drawing it on your main house lines. You might even have to install a seperate septic tank but I don't see why you couldn't tap into the existing one since it's not relevant whether the water comes from the garage or the house for showering etc, it's the overall output to the septic that matters right. Sounds like the wheels and plans are in motion pretty good there Bob!:upthumbs

for your potable water; if submersible pump you can tee in near your well instead of poking a hole through your foundation(opens up opportunity for a headache). determine depth of water line by looking down well and dig carefully( locate phone, hydro, gas lines) run a 1" polyeurathane line to your garage for good volume. go with a 3/4" main hot and cold and tee off in 1/2" to your fixtures. always best to check with your municipal codes for the sewer connection. it shouldn't be a problem as long as you can maintain grade from garage to septic tank inlet.

arcticvette said:
for your potable water; if submersible pump you can tee in near your well instead of poking a hole through your foundation(opens up opportunity for a headache). determine depth of water line by looking down well and dig carefully( locate phone, hydro, gas lines) run a 1" polyeurathane line to your garage for good volume. go with a 3/4" main hot and cold and tee off in 1/2" to your fixtures. always best to check with your municipal codes for the sewer connection. it shouldn't be a problem as long as you can maintain grade from garage to septic tank inlet.

Thanks arcticvette. I'd be interested in hearing more about your idea of teeing in near the well for potable water. Just where would you actually tee in? On the existing line to the house coming off the well?

As for waste, I wonder if this wouldn't be the answer rather than running a hundred feet underground from the garage to join into the septic system?

http://www.envirolet.ca/enmulsys1011.html

No drain required!

Comments? No, not the locker room comments. :rotfl

1. Choose Colour: White
2. Add 4'' Wind Turbine?: Yes (+ 59.95)
3. Add 2-Stage Filter/Drain Kit?: Yes (+ 36.95)
4. Add Vent Pipe and Coupling?: No, 10' is enough
5. Add Union Coupling?: No
6. Add Turbo Fan?: 120VAC Turbo Fan (+ 99.95)
7. What's your Application? (optional): Work Shop

$ 1906.85

Given the run you were talking about or even putting in a separate septic tank for the barn, this looks to me like a heck of a deal Bob.

Tom

I think you could be on a role (roll) Bob. If you use GrassPave2 you get everything you wanted in a quasi "hidden" drive. To top it off (no pun intedned), if you use the "envirolet" you could manufacture your own compost. :L

The latter is obviously a joke, but it beats spreading it on your tomatos :rotfl

All BS aside, these are both great environmentally friendly ideas.

MM-C5 said:
All BS aside, these are both great environmentally friendly ideas.

And, when I get this composter, from the Envirolet people, for all our food waste, I'll have a legitmate come-back for all those tree-huggers complaining about my 502 engine. :gap

sancor_1906_5825394

Life is good. :w

The grass pave idea appeals more than the gravel pave since gravel will eventually capture enough dirt to start sprouting weeds... unless you like spraying KillEx onto the gravel.

-Mac

67HEAVEN said:
And, when I get this composter, from the Envirolet people, for all our food waste, I'll have a legitmate come-back for all those tree-huggers complaining about my 502 engine. :gap

sancor_1906_5825394

Life is good. :w
Oops! I forgot to add that to the estimate! But I think it still makes more sense than running a 100' line.

There is a remote chance that I could make it to BARNFEST~1 in 07 but if there is a BARNFEST ~ 2 in 08, don't count on me eating any vegitables! :rotfl

67HEAVEN said:
Thanks arcticvette. I'd be interested in hearing more about your idea of teeing in near the well for potable water. Just where would you actually tee in? On the existing line to the house coming off the well?

As for waste, I wonder if this wouldn't be the answer rather than running a hundred feet underground from the garage to join into the septic system?

http://www.envirolet.ca/enmulsys1011.html

No drain required!

Comments? No, not the locker room comments. :rotfl

I would tee in to the line going from the well to the house providing that the pump is in the well otherwise that line would be a suction line for the pump if it is in the house. you can tee in where ever is going to be closest to your garage. once inside garage I would install a pressure tank to give you storage and also to reduce pressure loss in your house.

I like the waterless toilets have installed one before although not as nice as the one you've shown. But what about your shower and sink? you can get small one-piece septic holding tanks that would be dedicated to your shop, that aren't too bad for price. this system would have to be pumped out once or twice a year depending on how much water you run. if you're on septic system already you should be getting that tank pumped out once a year anyway.
hope this helps Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom