Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Convertible Blues!

XLR8

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible
I was driving to an appointment with my hand therapist today, and noticed an annoying squeak which I have just recently begun to hear. I reached over my head and pressed the headliner and top frame in several spots to see if it would eliminate the squeaking.

It eliminated it alright - when the back glass fell out of the top. :eek

I'm talking catastrophic failure here! The only length of the glass still sealed to the top is about 2/3 across the bottom. It would have fallen into the car completely if not for the 2 elastic straps at top of the glass.

I went to Headliners Plus in Gulfport and he's replacing the top next week. Bye-bye bucks! :cry Going to replace it with a Robbins top. It's more costly than the EZ Top but has a better warranty and fit. Since I intend to keep this Vette for a few more years, I figured it is worth less possibility of ever having to replace again while I own her.

The top had to be replaced in my C4 at ~8 years old too. Do other members experience that timeframe?

Oh well, some photos.

:w Jane Ann

HPIM1197_Bad_Top_3.jpg

HPIM1193_Bad_Top_2.jpg

HPIM1201_Bad_Top_4.jpg

Not Exactly.................

I was on my way to Carlisle one year, maybe 2001, and it was raining so I put the soft top up and left for the fairgrounds. On the road, at about 55 MPH, half the top opened, actually the drivers side as the latch broke. Made the rest of the trip with one hand on the roof, the other shifting and steering and found a new latch for $8 once I got there. Borrowed a Leatherman from someone in the Solid Axle Corvette Club, done deal, like factory. I don't think yours will be as "cheap":eyerole

A little glue and Duct tape ought to put it back together in the meantime.
I heard driving over 140 MPH loosens them up a little.
You haven't been doing that, have you?:)

U.P. John said:
I don't have any solutions for that problem, my dear friend. And for that I apologize...

But I do have a cure for you.

One word.

Targa
Thanks for the sympathy John. A sympathetic ear is all we need sometimes. And a laugh - which I can always depend on you, Pete and Lou to give me! (And Tammy - she and I had this discussion in several PM's earlier.)

And don't think for a moment that Targa top didn't cross my mind this afternoon after my window bailed on me. :L

Pete- that new speed rated warranty was the selling point on a new Robbins top! ;)

XLR8 said:
Thanks for the sympathy John. A sympathetic ear is all we need sometimes. And a laugh - which I can always depend on you, Pete and Lou to give me! (And Tammy - she and I had this discussion in several PM's earlier.)

And don't think for a moment that Targa top didn't cross my mind this afternoon after my window bailed on me. :L

Pete- that new speed rated warranty was the selling point on a new Robbins top! ;)
Well, at least you fixed the rattle.:L

wishuwerehere82 said:
Well, at least you fixed the rattle.:L

I have a girlfriend like you, always looking on the bright side (ie. positive) side of everything. Drives me freakin' nuts. :rotfl
:beer

Looks like a 1-roll job for duct tape. :L

I had the front of the acrylic top separate from the C4 targa frame on a road trip. 1/4 of a roll took care of it, and the car looked good with silver top. LOL

Pete - yes, that DID eliminate the squeak. :L

6 Shooter - love those 'verts!

PreacherNutshot - We optimists of the world know we drive you pessimists :crazy Look at the bright side - we're very entertaining. ;)

RoadReady - I tried it but I didn't like the black top with silver trim. I've already written a letter to management at Duct Tape INC and suggested a new marketing strategy - Duct Tape in colors!

The breakdown on price is:
Robbins top $1266
Labor $395
with taxes the total runs just under $1800

Jane Ann - maybe it's the humidity / salt water? I have a 98 convertible, no problems with the top (not even faded).

Signed,
It's A Dry Heat!

edit: Duct tape does come in colors, take your pick: http://www.duct-tape.com/#DUCT_TAPE

Pinky said:
Jane Ann - maybe it's the humidity / salt water? I have a 98 convertible, no problems with the top (not even faded).

Signed,
It's A Dry Heat!

edit: Duct tape does come in colors, take your pick: http://www.duct-tape.com/#DUCT_TAPE

Pinky,

Those conditions have occurred to me before as a possible reason for the glass seperating. But then people on every coast of the USA drive 'verts with no problem. ;shrug I figure it's just my luck to get 2 'verts with poor adhesion.

RE: Duct Tape Colors - man, there goes my commission. :mad

XLR8 said:

But then there is always that dreaded rattle heard briefly before a targa owner becomes a member of the FRC;). That's the Flying Roof Club for the uninitiated, and no I am thankfully NOT speaking from experience.....yet:eek.

BTW JAG, the top on my 71 was approximately ten years old when it began to come apart. My solution? I sold the whole car.

- Eric:w

XLR8 said:
I tried it but I didn't like the black top with silver trim. I've already written a letter to management at Duct Tape INC and suggested a new marketing strategy - Duct Tape in colors!

I can't believe you got results so quickly, I have seen it in stores. Watch Nascar to see it in action.:)

Glenn
:w

is there no way to fix this problem?

I just got a call from my Dad, said his '98 pace car's roof just did this exact thing. the killer is the rest of the top is in perfect condition, seems like a real waste to change the whole top when it seems fixable.

I just got a call from my Dad, said his '98 pace car's roof just did this exact thing. the killer is the rest of the top is in perfect condition, seems like a real waste to change the whole top when it seems fixable.
Heck - I'd give some good glue a try, what can it hurt! ;shrug

Let us know what he ends up doing.

Later - D

It really depends on whether or not you can get a good seal between the glass and the seam of the top. When the glass and top started to separate on my '94, it was a small area and I was able to repair it well enough with Superglue to last another year. It was not noticeable and it looked fine.

With a larger area, such as what happened with my '98, the problem would be getting enough pressure to hold everything together while the glue sets and dries. I suspect it would also be more noticeable the more glue one has to use, because it will eventually soak through.

As I understand it, the piece of equipment used to heatseal the glass to the top is very expensive to purchase. One "top man" told me it runs about $150K. :eek

Mine lasted 7 years before the window came loose.

Rear windows falling out.....C6 roofs blowing off!!!! Is it just me or is this just unacceptable??????

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom