Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Convertible X-brace on a Coupe?

Redbob

Corvette
'89 dk red coupe
Has anyone tried stiffening their coupe chassis for better handling by installing the convertible cross-brace? Did it make any noticeable difference?
I've driven a convertible with the brace removed so the exhaust could be worked on, and I don't recall any handling issues in ordinary (aggressive) street driving.

Looks to me like the holes are there, it ought to bolt right up.

Ideas? Observations?

Indeed, it bolts right up. It really stiffens the car, much less torsional warping of the frame. If you are into auto-x I'd install the brace.

Marck

Thanks.
Any ideas how much it weighs? It didn't cross my mind to weigh he one I had in my hands years ago.

Now there's a question... don't know. It's not that heavy.

Anyone know if all 86+ coupes have the mounting points? At the very least, I'd love to make mine stiffer when the roof panel is off.
[RICHR]

The X-member for C-4 convertable is more of a C section and not that strong. For my 91 ZR-1, I bought a set of X-member and had Corvette Masters in Mailtland, Fl. mig-weld sheet steel and turned X-member into more of a box section. If I remember correctly, a bolt had to be welded in front of rear wheels to accept the X-member. This modification helped a lot and reduced wind shield and streering wheel shake when the top was removed.

That certainly makes sense; you wouldn't even have to box the whole thing to get the effect.
Great idea!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom