Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Coolant Tank Cap for $8.- ??

Corvette
1982 Collector Edition
Hey Gang..

When i was poking around the engine to fix my code 42 issue, i saw my Coolant Tank Cap was basically only half there (literally), only the sticker is holding it on. So, fine, i went to Zip's site.. (The others dont seem to have it online).

Whoa.. 8.00 US Dollars for a plastic cap ? And thats without shipping :crazy?

Anyone know if there is a generic cap we can use ? I could probably peel off the sticker..

Thanks!

:w
-Stefan

Hey Gang..

When i was poking around the engine to fix my code 42 issue, i saw my Coolant Tank Cap was basically only half there (literally), only the sticker is holding it on. So, fine, i went to Zip's site.. (The others dont seem to have it online).

Whoa.. 8.00 US Dollars for a plastic cap ? And thats without shipping :crazy?

Anyone know if there is a generic cap we can use ? I could probably peel off the sticker..

Thanks!

-Stefan

take the old one to a junk yard and match it up, or if you want new go to your local parts supplier.
many of those parts are generic chevy

Yeah, i think i'll do that. I have a NAPA store around the corner. They should be able to match it up, peel the sticker, glue it on the new one and done..

Thanks guys !

Guy: The link didnt have a pic, so i cant be sure, but it sounds right. So many words for a little piece of plastic.. :L

Thanks !

Update:
Went to Napa, Part# 703-2320, GM generic coolant cap replacement. Fit's like it was made for it. It is a tiny bit higher, but has a gasket inside to compensate. And all that for $3 plus tax..

Now onto filing away the red lettering and glueing the old label on and we should be in business..

Thanks for the ideas!

I replaced mine the ghetto way. I used an old cap from a Mobil 1 5 quart jug. It was a tad big so I lined the inside of the cap with a narrow strip of duct tape to help seal it when it wsa screwed on. Has worked fine so far and as an added bonus, the cap is green, just like the coolant, so no mistaking what goes in it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom