Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Coolant

berry1133@bellsouth.net

Hello. I am having a problem with coolant leaking on my 93 Ruby. It's leaking at the recovery tank. First I noticed that the tank was overfilling. I pressured tested the system and the cap. The system was good but the cap wouldn't hold pressure. I replaced the cap. Still having leak, but tank is it overflowing. Could it be that the recovery tank cap is releasing pressured coolant and coming out steam?

I want to make sure I understand the problem.

When the engine runs, the coolant overflow bottle, located ahead of the right front wheel fills to the top and overflows.

This is after you replaced the cap on the high fill bottle located on the right, ahead of the firewall.

Have I got it right?

That was the case before I pressure tested the system and cap. Found out that the cap would not hold the 16 psi so I replaced the cap. Now it doesn't overfill, but I'm still getting leakage at the expansion tank. I took the tank out and confirmed that it's not leaking. Could it be the expansion tank cap releasing pressurized coolant?

Is the engine overheating? Does the electric fan works?

Everything works just fine. No overheating and the fans kick on as they should. Just the leak from the expansion tank.

Also, I noticed that when I removed expansion tank, where the hose goes into the tank, an aluminum insert remained inside the tank. Should this piece have come out with the hose, or is it part of the expansion tank?

I think the insert in this tube should stay in the tank to prevent the plastic outlet to collapse whit the heat or pressure of the hose retainer. I saw a few expansion tank leak at the joint between th upper and lower part, would it be your case? I think you should take the car for a road test long enough to cause the problem, leave the engine running and try to locate the leak. For most of these tank, the level of fluid leak only if it can reach the top of the tank that is not your case anymore if I read you right. If you can post a few pictures on your next post, I am a mechanic but nerver realy worked on c4 so pictures could help me . Good luck Steph.:beer

The last time I drove the vehicle, the coolant never reached the top of the tank and it was completely dry. It wasn't until the next morning that I noticed the coolant under the tank and beneath the front right spoiler. This is leading me to believe that something is occurring during the cool down phase. I guess I can remove the tank again, clean the tank well, and see if there are any leaks on the top of the tank. What are your thoughts?

In the cooling system, the pressure highest point is wen the engine is at normal operating temperature (225-230) and you stop the engine. At this particular moment you have maximum heat and no more cooling or circulation but the cap should release pressure but normally no liquid. Will it be possible there is a leak where the hoses are attach to the tank? These strange problem are hard to fix at a distance. Is the tank located very close to the radiator? Any possibility that the rad leak and drip on the tank?

I smell coolant!

Lately when I park my 92 Lt1, I smelled that distinct smell of antifreeze. No puddle or leaks though my coolant recovery tank was dry and it should have shown a level at the HOT mark. I ran the car til hot again and added coolant to the HOT mark again. Ran the car again and this time when I parked the car, I quickly popped the hood and noticed coolant leaking at the cap. My car has 150K on the ticker and the cap would not stop turning when I tightened it so either the cap is bad or the tank threads are stripped. I'm ordering new cap and tank and will look at the 20 year old connector hose from tank to upper tank also. My car has a lot of 20 year old hoses (heater,etc.) so my spring project is replacing hoses and clamps that came from the factory in 1992. Hope this helps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom