Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cooling fan

Whiteshadow89158

Corvette
1981 dark purple coupe
I finished the intake manifold install today so while I'm waiting for my other parts to arrive, I removed the old water pump in preparation for the new one and cleaned up the cooling fan. I pretty much just used what was laying around in the garage and it actually turned into a fun project. I decided to Polish the blades first because I didn't want to get any of the Polish on the finished paint. I didn't include a picture of it but I sanded the arms with 400 grit paper and cleaned them up with mineral spirits. enjoy the pics:thumbsup3: 2011-10-27_10-36-19_962.jpg2011-10-27_10-36-30_999.jpg2011-10-27_10-46-32_420.jpg2011-10-27_10-46-55_48.jpg2011-10-27_11-05-26_239.jpg2011-10-27_11-05-46_460.jpg2011-10-27_11-20-04_852.jpg2011-10-27_11-20-20_332.jpg

Looks sharp shadow! Might as well take it one step farther and clearcoat the blades to keep them looking that way.:beer

Looks great, but I wouldn't stand next to it with the engine running - those flex-fans have a nasty habit of shedding blades, especially with rusty semi-tubular rivets holding the blades to the spider. The blades on the stock fan are attached with solid steel rivets, and the stock fan clutch limits fan rpm to 3500-3700.

:beer

I agree with John: I've actually seen a couple of those fans come apart on the dyno, and it makes one heck of a mess with a lot of damage when it happens in the car. Also, the stock fan with a clutch is not only safer, but consumes less horsepower than one of those flex fans (I've tested them). Although the stainless flex may look good, you're better off with the stock setup for both safety and power.

Lars

I wasn't aware this isn't a stock fan. It was on the motor when I got it so it must of been replaced by the previous owner.

Yeah those were a common way to save a couple of bucks back in the day. They were advertised as a way to improve cooling and save on power but they were coming apart 30 years ago that I remember. I had one on my 67 back then until I heard of the fins coming off and thought with my luck I'd be timing the car or tuning it then get hit in the head with a blade! Sounds like something out of a Halloween movie!

Yeah those were a common way to save a couple of bucks back in the day. They were advertised as a way to improve cooling and save on power but they were coming apart 30 years ago that I remember. I had one on my 67 back then until I heard of the fins coming off and thought with my luck I'd be timing the car or tuning it then get hit in the head with a blade! Sounds like something out of a Halloween movie!

Ouch, looks like ill be replacing it after all.

Well I checked out the usual vendors and a new fan goes for around $100. I also checked summit and besides the summit brand fan, the rest are the "flex-light" models that look like mine. Does anyone have a suggestion for a reliable replacement fan? Is my only option to pay the $100 for a stock like fan? This just seems like another kick in the pants for something simple lol

Figure out the diameter of the stock fan and hit the salvage yard. It does not have to be a Corvette specific fan. All it has to do is be close to the right diameter, have the correct bolt holes in the center and be on installed. It won't know if it's on a Corvette or a Caprice.

And I agree with the others about the flex fans- I know a guy that reached over the fan and goosed the throttle- the fan came apart at just the right time and nearly cut his arm off at the shoulder.

This may be a stupid question but, is the fan clutch inside the water pump or is it external? My guess is inside the pump. Also, what do you guys think about this fan I found on summit? Its made with nylon and its a solid unit. sum-g4948_w_ml.jpg

Don't use an aftermarket fan - get a stock unit and use a stock fan clutch. You can get good clutches from NAPA, but get the stock fan from a slavage yard or through a good Vette supplier such as Paragon. Put your Summit catalog back in the bathroom.
Lars

If that fan comes apart at normal highway speed, you are probably going to have damage to the hood. It's also likely that you'll have one or more holes in your radiator and some nasty chunks out of the fan shroud. Not sure how lucky you are but my luck would involve a $200 radiator and a $450 shroud. On my lucky day the tow home would be less than 100 miles and AAA would cover it. Not to mention the "I told you we should have taken my car!" from the passenger seat/

I agree with the advice to get a stock fan and clutch. A new fan runs around $103 and the clutch is another $130 from Zip. You can save some money on the clutch with Rock Auto -- they have an AC Delco clutch for around $90 or for a lot less you can buy a Hayden ($29) or Four Seasons ($32). The clutch attaches to the water pump pulley and the fan attaches to the clutch (everything is external to the pump). See if you can get a good used fan but I wouldn't mess with a used clutch. Here's what your stock parts look like:

_Images%5CBlobs%5CM-2527.JPG

_Images%5CBlobs%5CM-2532.JPG

If that fan comes apart at normal highway speed, you are probably going to have damage to the hood. It's also likely that you'll have one or more holes in your radiator and some nasty chunks out of the fan shroud. Not sure how lucky you are but my luck would involve a $200 radiator and a $450 shroud. On my lucky day the tow home would be less than 100 miles and AAA would cover it. Not to mention the "I told you we should have taken my car!" from the passenger seat/

I agree with the advice to get a stock fan and clutch. A new fan runs around $103 and the clutch is another $130 from Zip. You can save some money on the clutch with Rock Auto -- they have an AC Delco clutch for around $90 or for a lot less you can buy a Hayden ($29) or Four Seasons ($32). The clutch attaches to the water pump pulley and the fan attaches to the clutch (everything is external to the pump). See if you can get a good used fan but I wouldn't mess with a used clutch. Here's what your stock parts look like:

_Images%5CBlobs%5CM-2527.JPG

_Images%5CBlobs%5CM-2532.JPG
thanks guys, this info really helps. I think zip is the best choice for me. Ill make sure to take lots of pics for you guys

I have the cheap Hayden clutch on mine, it has worked fine for the 10 years its been on there. You can try one of the Corvette junkyards on the web to find a nice used fan.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom