Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cooling system and a tool

96Holly

Corvette
96 LT4 Polo Green Coupe
Couple of questions.

1) I have a '96 LT4. I am replacing the water pump. There is a cooling line (I beleave part of the air bleed system?) that runs into the throttle body. I can't seem to find the exit point. Is there a return line for this hose? If so, can I plug the line? (I know you can do this with the LT1)

2) In order to pull the water pump the service manual indicates that the crankshaft balencer be removed. I have heard this is a real bear to get off. I like to use the right tools and the service manual calls for a J39046 crankshaft balencer puller. Were can I get one?

I also pulled my radiator..... now I know why I was heating up in traffic!!!

Personally I would leave it alone. There is a small one that loops back to the main hose, and the 5/8" or so that goes in on the bottom and out on the passenger side. You won't really gain anything by whacking them out.

The balancer is a two piece design. It has a center hub that goes on the crank, and the outer ring. I think you can get by with just removing the outer ring. I could be wrong about this. It has been about a year since I last pulled a optispark off.

If you have to pull the center hub, please get the tool. Most autoparts stores now rent them. Summit racing sells a sbc puller for about $80.

Good luck.

My mistake, I can leave the outer ring and center hub on for the water pump cnage but need to at least pull the outer ring for the distributor replacement (see my other post)

Does the outer ring just pull off with removing the bolts and with no special tool?

I have pulled several of them off and don't remember needing to use my tool.

In fact, I have done several LT1 engine conversions into other cars/trucks. When I get an F body LT1, I have to put the Vette outer ring on the balancer assembly as the aftermarket belts and pulleys use the vette vs. the F body distance away from the water pump. I am sitting here banging my head, because I just don't remember needing the tool to pull the outer ring.

:hb

I'll have to check the service manual again when I get home tonight. I wouldn't think you would need a special tool to pull off the outer ring. However, I do think that I would want to bolt up the ring the way it came off the center hub.

I'll post tomorrow what the manual says to do...

I can tell you this! The ring has a marker on it that you have to make sure it is indexed with the center hub. That I do remember almost crystal clear.

This job can't be as bad as when I put a new timing chain in the 90 Vette a few years ago. That required radiator removal, balancer removal, etc. etc. setting the valves, and back together again.

Yes, you will find all kinds of crud in those radiator housings. It is like the collector portion of the vacuum cleaner. I have found grocery store bags, news papers, condoms, cigerettes, and leaves a plenty in the C4s that I have opened up over the years.

The manual doesn't state that you need to pull the center hub for removal of the dist. It does state that you need to pull the outer ring or crankshaft balancer.

The job is not bad so far..... this is the first time that I have worked on her..... very confining but it is saving me bucks to do the work myself as well as gain pride in doing the work.

When I pulled the rad. out of the bay I thought I saw a mouse fall out!! Turned out to be a HUGE grasshopper. Never seen one that big!!! So much for jiminy Cricket crossing the road...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom