Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

correct rear spring?

mcditalia

Corvette
1966 convertible, 327 L79
Hello,

I'm about to order a new rear spring for my 66 from EatonSprings. The sales rep advised me that they have two style springs. One with the first top three leaves horizontal with no arch and the remaining six with an arch downward and the other type of spring all have leaves with the arch flaring down. Both types have the correct curls on the end except the main spring. What's correct out of the two?

Also, what's the correct main leaf thickness .237 or .214?

Thanks

MC

The correct spring for a '66 (unless it's an L-72 with F-41) is the 9-leaf with three flat top leaves and six cambered bottom leaves; all '64-'67 Corvettes, regardless of engine, used that as the standard spring. I have one of the Eaton springs on my '67, and I'm happy with it. Tell Mike not to paint it, then disassemble it, paint it with the Quanta spring paint, use the Quanta liners, and you're in business. When it shows up, it'll have two clips on it - throw them away - they're only to hold it in alignment during shipping. :)

Thanks John,

I was hoping you would reply as I searched the c2 forum and saw a pic of your Eaton Spring when I noticed you have the 3 top flat and the rest arched, but didn't know if it applied for my 66. Strangely enough, the NCRS judging manual doesn't specify this info.

I was planning on doing just that: Paint the leaf with the Quanta paint, but wasn't planning on getting the rebuild kit that comes with the liners; just the paint.

Thanks

MC

Just got my new spring today. Now I have to disassemble in order to paint it. I couldn't get a new spring unpainted according to the manufacturer.

So this might sound like a dumb question but there is only one bolt holding the leaves together in the middle. Just take that off and the leaves should be separating? Should I media blast the leaves, strip with chemical...? What's easier?

Yup, just remove the center bolt, strip the paint, prime, paint, and reassemble with the liners. Use stripper or media blast - whatever's convenient. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom