Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette Blue Devil (finally) gets a name - ZR1

My thought was the nameplate ''ZR1" is going to be used for a few reasons. 1. I think the people who paid all the money for the C4 ZR1's were mad that Chevy made a Z06 seven years later with the same power but 20k less. The name gives them back some of the prestige of being a ZR1 owner. 2. I think it fits the mold of what the C4 ZR1 was. Four cam motors had never been used in a vette prior to that car. Superchargers have yet to be factory installed on a vette. I think it works. They could have used a name with more mystique and flair but the simplicity and history makes ZR1 a fitting and faithful nameplate.

Regardless of the name, we all know that it's gonna be one hell of a car!!

:beer

Hey

They can call it anything they want...We all know the " Deal "...Low production selling well above sticker...Hey man a great machine, and investment ! IM IN !:cool

Personally, I think they should have given it a name with it's own character.
GM run out words?

Good choice among the options. The SS had no corvette history, Blue Devil was cool only to Duke fans. ZR1 has a history with the marque!

2009 ZR1 (650 HP)

This is just a flat out "bad to the bone" ride.
Remo:cool

I could already see an ad for the ZR-1 (wait is it ZR1 or ZR-1? hmm):
In fall 2008 is the return of "The King of the Hill"
With a supercharged 6.2 liter V-8 you would have to drive this King to understand it.
So visit your local Chevrolet dealer for more information and preordering of this one of a kind automobile.

Just my thought on what a ZR-1 pre ad would be like. I can't wait to see it when it comes! So ready to wave at the King! Or should I bow? lol

I think it fits the mold of what the C4 ZR1 was. Four cam motors had never been used in a vette prior to that car. Superchargers have yet to be factory installed on a vette.

Good point. It mirrors the first gen ZR-1 in that this is uncharted territory for Corvette in price, performance, and configuration.

GM likely won't go with SS...

It would be fun, however, to have both a Trailblazer SS and a Corvette SS in the barn side-by-side :beer. Assuming the new Vette isn't priced out of the sky. Anyone know what they will go $$ for? ;shrug

Dave

I think it's true.

And I also think it is the right decision! This was what I was hoping they would pick.

SS is associated with the more attainable cars in Chevy's line up. Not an unprecedented halo car such as the new ZR-1 (Ha, I already like saying it!).

Corvette was never given an SS designation before, even in the muscle car era. The brand has always been somewhat separate from Chevy's other high performance cars. I think continuing that separation gives Corvette a higher aura, and is the right move.
The first 'SS' model ever was a Corvette.

-bZj

Well I have to admit I was ****ed off at first :mad

but as I read all the comments I changed my mind. :D

I WILL WAIT UNTIL I CAN DRIVE ONE TO SEE IF I REALLY WANT ONE AND THINK IT IS OK

I now will have a reason to aspire to owning what will surely be another Legend. And it is a fitting tribute to the original king.:cool

I will now look forward to its creation and becoming a reality and I am sure it will be one hell of a Vette just like its Father!:beer

The big ? is how long until MoBenz answers with a SC snake to unseat the new king from its throne.:eek:wned

Surely the snake crowd will love nothing more than to do a repeat of the Viper's dethroning the of king of the hill once again--:W

Funny how history repeats itself--no doubt the general has set himself up for this to happen again.:bash

AND LIFE GOES ON!!!:pat

All Hail The King of the Road

I find this bit of news a fitting banner to welcome back the original King of the Road.

Definitely, as others here, I did not see very approvingly the use of the SS badge on a Corvette, nor the blaspheming tales of bow-tie emblems affixed upon a rumored Corvette descendant generation sporting a V6 engine. :mad

All Hail the King!

Hey! It's all about turning the key. Like the new ad for the '08 CTS says: When you turn your car on, does it turn you on?

I drive a 23 year old Vette. Afford new? Of course I can. But when I turn the key, the engine rumbles and the exhaust growls. Then I slam the gearshift into first, knowing the rear end's gonna get squirrelly when I pop the clutch too fast. Before I'm even out of the driveway my adrenalin's pumping! I'm reminded once again how much I love driving this car!

Yeah, the new ones are quicker. A factory warranty is great, too. But it is all about turning the key. Does your car turn you on?!? Who cares what the other guy's car is all about or what he thinks about yours!

If the new (Blue Devil) ZR1 does for me what my '85 does, I won't care if it's called Yellow Chicken. Well...maybe Yellow Chicken wouldn't be OK, but you get my drift...

I would have like to see Z07. Like has been stated, most will think old school ZR1. Try telling some one about the difference between a C5 Z06 and C6 Z06, they look at you like your crazy. :beer
Robert

I guess the ZR1 is as good as anything but I was hoping for something like maybe ZR2 maybe; the ZR-1 has been done and tied to the C-4. . . . . . . . But GM didn't consult me so I will live with it; pretty sure I won't be able to afford one anyway. But I look forward to its debute`

Bill

The big ? is how long until MoBenz answers with a SC snake to unseat the new king from its throne.:eek:wned

Surely the snake crowd will love nothing more than to do a repeat of the Viper's dethroning the of king of the hill once again--:W

Funny how history repeats itself--no doubt the general has set himself up for this to happen again.:bash

I think you are giving Chrysler too much credit here. You could say it's been Corvette that has done the de-throning of the Viper as well.

In fact, Mopar added 90 horsepower to the new '08 Viper and the car mags are all still picking the Z06 in comparos. I think the Corvette is a straight up superior platform.

This new ZR-1 is going to be extremely difficult to beat, pound for pound.

I think you are giving Chrysler too much credit here. You could say it's been Corvette that has done the de-throning of the Viper as well.

In fact, Mopar added 90 horsepower to the new '08 Viper and the car mags are all still picking the Z06 in comparos. I think the Corvette is a straight up superior platform.

This new ZR-1 is going to be extremely difficult to beat, pound for pound.

Amen. :upthumbs

I guess the ZR1 is as good as anything but I was hoping for something like maybe ZR2 maybe; the ZR-1 has been done and tied to the C-4. . . . . . . .

I believe that ZR2 is already or was used as a package for Chevy trucks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom