Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette Blue Devil (finally) gets a name - ZR1

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Corvette Blue Devil (finally) gets a name - ZR1

Chevrolet's 650-horsepower Corvette, developed under the codename "Blue Devil," will be called ZR1. That badge will appear on the January 2008 Detroit show car, and on the production version set to go on sale later next year as a 2009 model. GM has been developing this car for several years, using a supercharged version of the new 6.2-liter small block V-8 used in the 2008 Corvette(pictured). GM also considered such names as Z07 and Super Sport for the ultra-low-volume car. Price will be much higher than the 505-horsepower Z06, and Chevy will continue production of that car when the ZR1 launches.

Chevy first used the ZR1 moniker for a reported eight cars built in the 1971 model year with a 370-horsepower, 350-cubic-inch (5.7-liter) small block V-8. The option cost $1,010, while a 425-horse 454 was $1,221. The '71 ZR1 came with no special bodywork or badging. Chevy revived the name in 1990 for a 32-valve Lotus-designed, Mercury Marine-built 375-horsepower quad-cam V-8. That car had a wider tail to accommodate P315/35ZR17 Goodyears on 11-inch wide wheels and was built through the '95 model year. Badges included a hyphen, as in ZR-1, which doesn't fit GM RPO nomenclature.

GM has never confirmed nor denied rumors that "ZR" stands for "Zora's Racer."
The blown 6.2 also looks like the engine that will power the next Cadillac CTS-v, rather than something based off of GM's new high-feature overhead cam V-8 debuting in '09.

Source: MotorTrend.com

• Admin
So what do you think? Fact or fiction?

IMHO, SS is probably out. Why? Because many people in Europe are insulted by the nomenclature due to its relation to Nazis.

I think it's true.

And I also think it is the right decision! This was what I was hoping they would pick.

SS is associated with the more attainable cars in Chevy's line up. Not an unprecedented halo car such as the new ZR-1 (Ha, I already like saying it!).

Corvette was never given an SS designation before, even in the muscle car era. The brand has always been somewhat separate from Chevy's other high performance cars. I think continuing that separation gives Corvette a higher aura, and is the right move.

I think ZR1 is perfect! I can hardly wait to see this Vette on the street.

SAVE THE :w

I think it would only be fitting to see GM revive the ZR1 tag for yet another super vette..

ZR1 title works.

Thanks for the heads up.

JB

(snip)
Chevy first used the ZR1 moniker for a reported eight cars built in the 1971 model year with a 370-horsepower, 350-cubic-inch (5.7-liter) small block V-8. The option cost $1,010, while a 425-horse 454 was $1,221. The '71 ZR1 came with no special bodywork or badging. C

Source: MotorTrend.com

"ZR1" was an RPO in MY70 (25), 71 (8) and 72 (20). It consisted of the LT1 Special High-Performance Small-Block V8 along with other performance options such as HD brakes, aluminum radiator, HD suspension and (high-tech at the time) transistor ignition. Also many convienience options (A/C, power steering, etc) were not available when ZR1 was ordered.

There also was a one-year (MY71) ZR2 option which paired the 425hp LS6 with the same performance options and the same non-availability of convenience options.

As a "Gen 2" ZR-1 owner, I'm happy to see that the RPO might be reused for the supercharged C6.

I would have been happy with either Z07 or ZR-1, but definatly not SS. Good choice GM.

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't like it. The last ZR-1 was made in '95. It is too soon to use that name again. I liked Z07. I know that was also an options package on the C4, but I still think it fits better now. Now when you say "I have a ZR1" people are going to have to ask you which kind. It needs its own distinction.

-Tatortot

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't like it. Now when you say "I have a ZR1" people are going to have to ask you which kind. It needs its own distinction.

People have to ask the same thing with the two Z06 generations. They are worlds apart as well.

I think Blue Devil would've been a col name as well. Z07 or SS just wouldn't sound as cool. When I hear SS, I think Camaro all the way.

But in the end, it doesn't matter what they call it. What matters is how it performs. With Dodge going to 600 HP in their Viper, I think it's going to be pretty nice. Just can't wait to see the technology trickle down.

People have to ask the same thing with the two Z06 generations. They are worlds apart as well.

Agreed, but they waited 38 years to use the Z06 name again. 14 is too short for my taste, plus it has been revived twice now. I would have liked ZR2 much better.

-Tatortot

P.S. Edmond:

I think Camaro when I hear SS too. And who wants to be associated with a Camaro? :rotfl

I think it’s great that ZR-1 is being used. Among Corvette enthusiasts, there is equity in the ZR-1 nomenclature. The ZR-1 was a high water mark for 1990’s Corvette performance. The C6 ZR-1 will more than likely be the high water mark for the successful C6 generation (occasionally I read that the C7 is not that far off).

I will question if GM uses “King of the Hill” in any promotional material. That saying seems forever tied to the C4 ZR-1.

B17Crew
:w

Also, when I think ZR1, I think of a DOHC setup.

The ZR1 was truly the king of the hill. I hope that the press uses that tag line when the new ZR1 releases!

Always best of the best.

i don't like it at all. they are not paying homage to the 90-95 version's at all. whatever, GM owns the store they can do what they want. they hung us out to dry in the past but now that the name might bring some attention to the new deal, well all of a sudden the Zee badge is on the tips of the exec's tounges. the talk about the new car & the Viper is funny. the 90-95's were going head to head with the Viper back then until GM pulled the pin. got to give Mopar credit for staying with the car all this time when the General bailed out;shrug. our cars should have been in the mix in some way the whole time. oh well...

I didn't care what they called it. I'm waiting to see its stats. With a reputed 650 hp it's going to be phenomenal. The current Z06 and Viper are still close in stats now. The new ZR1 (damn weird calling it that) is going to blow its doors off!

I would've liked to have seen the even more elusive ZL1 make a return to the lineup.

Anticipation!!

I don't care what they call it - I simply must have one.

Remo:cool
LongShotLeft.JPG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom