Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette Body Panels - Whats out there?

Rain

Corvette
2000 Coupe 6 speed
After a high speed run in with a truck tire on the interstate my C5 is in need of some new body panels and front end parts. Insurance is covering replacement of the factory parts but I'm tempted to go with something besides stock. (but that's about my funding limit)

I have a RK Sport hi-rise hood that survived the impact. The nose, driver's quarter panel and rocker are toast.
Whats out there that I need to be looking at?

Wow...sounds like quite a run in Rain. Several different noses, but the problem is going to be the rocker panel. From my understanding those are out of production and no one is making a replacement. ;shrug

In noses, is the YES list shorter than the NO (AVOID AT ALL COSTS) list?

eBay has some that seem too cheap to be good. And its been years since I looked at ACI or Tigershark.

NADA on the 2000 is in the $16k range and I'm already up to $9k in damages at this point. (FYI)
IMAG0650.jpgIMAG0646.jpgIMAG0649.jpgIMAG0647.jpgIMAG0648.jpgIMAG0643.jpgIMAG0642.jpgIMAG0641.jpg

Ouch! I can't say for sure Rain about the list. I have toured the ACI plant and was very impressed with the quality, though.

Ouch!!!!!Sorry to hear of your run-in....:ugh :ugh
FWIW,I would give ACI a call to see IF they are making the C-5 panels..

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your mishap, Rain, but glad you're okay.
I-10 has come to resemble a recap graveyard. It's easy to see how much piles up on a daily basis because they're re-paving the section I drive every day which means it's cleaned every night! :ugh

The trucking industry lobbyist in DC must be one deep pocket individual. :eyerole

Good luck with the repairs.
:wJane Ann

Wish I could afford to go widebody. Those are slick!!
Even Tigershark at full retail is looking like its gonna surpass my budget. Trying to see if HRE will refurbish/refinish the wheels for the same price as replacing two of them. And I get 30% off parts at the dealership so I'm pricing out that this morning.
Keep ya posted,
Rain

slidell la - Google Maps

Here is where the Corvette stopped. I had just started my turn to stay on I-10 east (while other vehicles were going north on I-55) and a second later slides in this big tire. It hit and went under (i assume) before I knew what had happened. Figured the whole front end was gone so I aimed for the grassy spot between the interstate split and figured the sign would stop us if the brakes didn't.

It came to a rest just a couple feet in front of this sign. Parts of the car were spread all over both shoulders and scattered for feet behind the car.

Today's pics:

Corvette2.jpgCorvette.jpgRocker.jpgLFrontCorvette.jpg

Left Front Tire/Wheel - :cry

LFront2.jpgLFront.jpg

Damn! You're living my nightmare, Rain! Everytime I pass one of those things (and so far I've been lucky enough to do just that) I shudder and think 'what would that do to a Vette at speed?!?!'

Now I know.
:puke

OK - help me here fellas. HRE will refurbish my wheels. WORST case (new inners, new outers, strip and re-chrome the centers. $3000 plus shipping there and back.

What do ya think? Take the $ and look for another 20/19 combo? Or do it?

Following up - Anyone with advice re: my wheels?

I do need to replace one of the Hankook tires, but with HRE's repair possibly blowing my budget, what else should I be looking for in a 19/20 combo?

(yes, I could drop down to a 18/19 combo but then I'd have to also purchase new tires - killing any price savings I may find)

UPDATE:

I sent the wheels back to HRE. They totally replaced the most damaged one and refurbished the other three. (new inner, new outer, new chrome)

In the mean time I picked up what seemed to be a great deal on some Ronal LZ-VT 19/18 wheels and have them on the car now. I think they will grow on me but the offset has to be a bit off, they stick out more than I think they should. Anyhow, I'll deal with that when I get the car back.

The shop drug their feet for a month. Promising me some ghost graphics and then not really being a qualified shop for doing it. So I finally told them to just paint it back to the original black, install the Tigershark front fascia (which Tigershark forgot to include the fog light brackets and front brake ducts) and get her back together.
Last week I stopped in and the shop had forgotten to reinstall the air pump. I had to show them where the tubes routed and terminated into the air filter/intake. (they claim they weren't done yet)
Once i get her home I plan on gutting the interior. Putting in a dynomat kit, cleaning the carpet, installing new leather seat covers, and possibly putting in a RK Sport interior kit I've had in the garage for about 4 years.
Keep ya posted!

Decided not to start a new thread yet - But need some advice.

Once we got the Corvette out of paint and body we discovered a rattling sound at low rpm and low speeds that goes away once the car is over about 35 or 40.

I returned it to the shop so they could fix a few things they missed in body/paint and also told them to drop it by the dealership to try and discover what the noise is/was.

Local dealership put it up on a lift and listened around and sent back a report saying "bad clutch".

Insurance doesn't want to cover a bad clutch as the dealership didn't show any data that would prove the clutch was not making this noise before the wreck or that the impact didn't cause the issue.

With this sort of front end impact I imagine I had the clutch and the brake to the floor just as we skidded across the interstate, over the dirt mound and into the grass.

DO I need to go have a 1 on 1 talk with the service writer/shop foreman?

What do you suggest I do at this stage?

Thanks
Rain
_________

Decided not to start a new thread yet - But need some advice.

Once we got the Corvette out of paint and body we discovered a rattling sound at low rpm and low speeds that goes away once the car is over about 35 or 40.

I returned it to the shop so they could fix a few things they missed in body/paint and also told them to drop it by the dealership to try and discover what the noise is/was.

Local dealership put it up on a lift and listened around and sent back a report saying "bad clutch".

Insurance doesn't want to cover a bad clutch as the dealership didn't show any data that would prove the clutch was not making this noise before the wreck or that the impact didn't cause the issue.

With this sort of front end impact I imagine I had the clutch and the brake to the floor just as we skidded across the interstate, over the dirt mound and into the grass.

DO I need to go have a 1 on 1 talk with the service writer/shop foreman?

What do you suggest I do at this stage?

Thanks
Rain
_________

I'd tell'um to check out your bell housing real good,It's probly cracked!~!!:thumb
I've changed out 2 that were cracked around the 5 bolts at the torque tube after a minor crash!Hard to see too,if some of the bolts are loose,It's cracked!~!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Ever find that pic of the bell housing?

Thanks for the phone call my friend!
Rain

I'd tell'um to check out your bell housing real good,It's probly cracked!~!!:thumb
I've changed out 2 that were cracked around the 5 bolts at the torque tube after a minor crash!Hard to see too,if some of the bolts are loose,It's cracked!~!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Hey Rain! I got a PM recently regarding Dino's Corvette Salvage located in Picayune... I've never done business with them but you and some of the local club members have, right? Heard of any negative, positive or neutral experiences with them - particularly their rebuild or repair services?

Thanks in advance! :thumb

Have you made any progress on the interior mods you planned, or are the repairs still holding you up? And don't forget pix of the before and after too.
:wJane Ann

Ever find that pic of the bell housing?

Thanks for the phone call my friend!
Rain

Sorry Rain,I' run into a snag with the insurance co of the kid that hit and run my car at the school!:thumb

But heres a link! CLICK!~!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom