Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette to get diesel power for 2009

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Corvette to get diesel power for 2009

Chevrolet has announced that they will introduce a diesel-powered Corvette next spring as a 2009 model. The 2009 Chevrolet Corvette TDI will be powered by a specially-designed 5.7 liter V8 diesel with twin turbochargers. Output for the engine, developed in cooperation with Isuzu, is estimated at 350 horsepower and 675 lb-ft of torque.

"We feel that with its high fuel economy and strong low-end torque characteristics, the turbodiesel is the perfect engine for the Corvette," says a General Motors spokesperson. Early tests indicate that the Corvette TDI accelerates from 0 to 60 in just over 4 seconds and achieves real-world fuel economy of 25 to 30 MPG.

Chevrolet has hinted that if the Corvette TDI is a hit with buyers, they may consider phasing out gasoline-powered Corvettes altogether and making the turbodiesel engine the exclusive powerplant for the iconic American sports car.

The diesel Corvette will go on sale April 1st, 2008.

Whew, I just realized it was april 1st. ;LOL

I was about to ask what is the source. Thanks for reminding me it is also April 1st. Don't do that to us so early in the day Rob:ugh .

Yes - It is April 1st, but this diesel rules!

From the green flag to the finish, the Acura Sports Car Challenge of St. Petersburg was quite an adventure for Rinaldo Capello and Allan McNish. But just as they did eight times last season, they found their way to Victory Circle again. The defending LMP1 co-champions scored their first win of 2007 on Saturday as the Audi R10 TDI and diesel power remained unbeaten in the American Le Mans Series.

anyone want to bet that this story will get legs and will still be around at Carlisle. Cool

If only it were true! Ask anyone who has a turbo-diesel engine in a vehicle what the torque and economy are like and you'll hear accolades. Ah well... Good one, Rob!

-Mac

If only it were true! Ask anyone who has a turbo-diesel engine in a vehicle what the torque and economy are like and you'll hear accolades. Ah well... Good one, Rob!

-Mac

Got to go with Mac on this. It may not be too far fetched in the future. Rob, you slipped on the 25 to 30 MPG. The current gas engines are getting that! :L

Yikes! I've been hornswaggled again. April 1st s*%t. Got to admit though you got me with the pants down!

Well folks, Rob did us in. But we have 1 year to get back at him....mmmmmmmmm?

:L ;LOL :rotfl

Oh man, that was a good one!
I’m going to look forward to these newsflashes everyear now.

B17Crew
:w

It may be 1 April, but I do not think Rob is abusing his power as the site admin. I found this article on About.com that says the same thing. So if it is a hoax, Rob is not the instigator.

I for one don't mind the idea of a TDI Corvette, but I think talk of phasing out gasoline engines in favor of diesel is a little premature.

Jason

It may be 1 April, but I do not think Rob is abusing his power as the site admin. I found this article on About.com that says the same thing. So if it is a hoax, Rob is not the instigator.

I for one don't mind the idea of a TDI Corvette, but I think talk of phasing out gasoline engines in favor of diesel is a little premature.

Jason
....... ;)

....anyone who travels in Europe will know that a real turbo diesel will run rings around the crap sold over here...and there is little to distiguish the TDI from an aggressivley tuned injected gasoline engine, except that you now have LOTS of torque and 40+ mpg.....now that the US high-sulfur diesel fuel is on its way out, it should get interesting....

....yup, fell for this one but i agree that the mileage figures made me a bit suspicuous....forget about the rumors at Carlisle, i wonder which "engines of the future" GM is playing with?

Rob got me too!
But I have a turbodiesel pickup and like it pretty well, so it sounded kinda believable.
However, I had the distinct impression that the Audi turbodiesel won at LeMans only because the rules were tweaked in favor of the diesel motor.
Gersh

However, I had the distinct impression that the Audi turbodiesel won at LeMans only because the rules were tweaked in favor of the diesel motor.
Gersh

Make that the rules tweaked in favor of Audi. One has to wonder just much $$$ it cost Audi under the table but for the Euro sales they gain they are laughing all the way to the bank. Audi is still the box of crap to be called a car ever built.

My team car, a Euro-standard Benz S class is a Turbo Diesel 5 ltr. It tips the scales at 41/2 thousand pounds, does 0-60 in 7 seconds and is still pulling strong when the black box cuts the gasoil at 256 Kh. At 100 MPH it gets over 30 MPG and it does this while dragging around 3 TVs, 2 DVDs, Massage machine in the back seats, etc., etc., etc. So yeah a TD engine can kick butt but a what price. I would never pay the going price of the S class and I think that it is pig-ugly but it does help to make me a team player.;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom