Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Coupe vs. Z06

Gripey

Corvette
2000 Torch Red Coupe, 2010 Jetstream Blue GS
I'm curious of how much, if any, road noise there may be between a 2004 Z06 vs a 2000 coupe....any idea or thoughts? Yeah, I know....road noise? ;shrug

Other than tire differences, they should be the same.

The difference is you can install a barrier between the trunk and occupants with a Z06 whereas if you have a coupe you cannot.

Stock C5 Z06's had light/cheap seats and their passenger seats were manual operation.

They were designed with speed & performance in mind, ...

25hpgjn.jpg

2rz8gfr.jpg

...creature features went against their grain! :cool
:lou
Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

I have owned a '97 coupe and a 2002 Z06. The Z06 is quite a bit noisier than the coupe. If I was driving on a worn concrete freeway near my house, it was impossible to converse with a passenger. It is mostly tire noise. I ended up gutting the interior and doing the Frost King sound deadening procedure. And I installed an aftermarket partition behind the seats. I can now converse with a passenger, but it is still plenty loud. If you are looking for creature comfort, the Z06 is probably not a good choice. A coupe can have the performance improved in many ways, and you will still have a quieter car.

Of course, I don't mind the noise that much. :lou

That surprises me a little.I thought with the trunk area closed off in the Z06 vs the wide open rear end of the coupe that it would be the opposite.

I've got a insulation kit on the way.

Thanks everyone! :thumb

Gripey
It is my understanding that there was less sound deadening material installed in the Z06. The focus was on performance, so any way that they could reduce weight was important. And without an aftermarket partition, the "trunk" area of the Z06 is just as open to the passenger compartment as the coupe is. Based on what I have read, a large percentage of the sound comes through the bulkhead behind the seats.

Trust me on this one: My Z06 is much louder in the cabin than my '97 coupe was. Even after I added the soundproofing, it is still louder.

Jim B

Gripey,
Jim is correct about the noise level in a Z06. Remember that the guiding design principle in the C5 Z06 was on performance, and to achieve that, wherever weight savings could be achieved, they were. You'll notice that the Z06 does not have a power antenna, for example. Nor does it come with a power passenger seat.

Regarding the trunk area, it is open to the passenger compartment (there are aftermarket companies that sell partitions), and when Jim says that a lot of the cabin noise originates from the bulkhead behind the seats, in my experience, he's absolutely right. In my old '03 Z06, I also had Borla stingers, and occasionally I'd get this third gear drone that was loud enough to drown out the radio.

Still, for seat of the pants performance, a C5 Z06 goes like a rocket.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom