Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CRAP! Water in the oil!

Paddywhack

Corvette
1986 Dark red coupe
Got about a total of 30 minutes run time on the new engine, (including the 20 or so minutes for cam break in). Sounds great(still open headers) runs great...but, never able to fill the radiator to fill. Everytime I looked in, it was low on coolant. Was away for a few weeks on vacation, came back yesterday and went out to start the vette....filled the garage with white smoke. I shut it down and checked the dip stick and I had white foam on it. :puke Drivers side header was soaked with anti freeze at the collector. I'm assuming it's the head gasket. Whats the best way to get that milky crap out of my new engine??? Any thoughts are welcome, as usual! :eek:hnoes

I've come across this once before, and the answer was a rebuild. Granted the bearings were gone. So depending on what damage may have occurred, probably will dictate a course of action.

I would imagine that some if not all dis assembly will be necessary. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Of course, this would be a great time to install a new engine with enough HP and torque that would make a C6 owner jealous! :beer

If you only had water in it, no antifreeze, I would just fix the problem, after finding out WHY the gasket let go, and use it. If you had antifreeze in the cooling system, needs to come back out and into the hot tank again.

Got about a total of 30 minutes run time on the new engine, (including the 20 or so minutes for cam break in). Sounds great(still open headers) runs great...

Actually, it doesn't "run great". That you not only have water in the oil but water coming out the exhaust means something is way FUBAR :W

During the camshaft break-in you probably ate a head gasket and put enough coolant in the oil to make that ugly brown "shaving cream". There's a good chance you destroyed the bearings and may have done the same to your cam and lifters. You also may have a cracked head.

Not only would I carefully inspect the gasket surface on the head, the block deck and old gasket in your diagnosis of water in the oil, but I'd have the heads pressure checked to make sure you don't have a cracked exhaust valve seat or exhaust port as part of the diagnosis of coolant out the exhaust.

Whats the best way to get that milky crap out of my new engine??? Any thoughts are welcome, as usual!
Essentially, you're going to overhaul the motor so, when you tear it down, clean all the parts, inspect everything and replace damaged pieces, you'll take care of the milky crap.

Going back and thinking what went wrong...I originally bought all gaskets and all the good things thinking I had the original L98 in the car...then finding out it had been replaced with a 305, I believe I used the head gaskets I bought for a 86 L98 after I had the new engine built, which is a early 80's 4 bolt main. So, i'm pretty sure the wife and I are gonna go have several libations, at least I am, at the local watering hole, then figure out what the next step is. Hib, thanks for the technical side of the situation, I always look forward to your input. Air1 and six shooter, great ideas, but divorce court would be next if I decided on an another new engine at this time!

Are you looking at a performance option? You may find a good L98 engine in a bad car. This may be a cost efficient option for the moment to get the car back on the road.

:thumb
Air1 and six shooter, great ideas, but divorce court would be next if I decided on an another new engine at this time!

:boogie I hear yeah! I had to take a loan out to get my '96. My wife would have my head if I spent any $$ on anything over $100 that wasn't general maintenance until my vette is paid off!! :W Even then, I don't think I will ever get a newer vette, just keep re-biulding. Nothing better than a paid off vette! :thumb

Are you looking at a performance option? You may find a good L98 engine in a bad car. This may be a cost efficient option for the moment to get the car back on the road.

I still got the time to straighten this engine out, the snow is still falling here and probably will for another 6 weeks or so. Just excited to get this engine on the road and see what it can do after all the work this winter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom