Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Crate Motors

R

RalleyRed

Anyone that has one or knows what I need to do please speak up.

After installing mine I found my water tempature is running very high. I know that they don't make a 68 style tempature gauge and I haven't been able to figure out the ohm range I need for a 68 gauge.

Also I relocated the gauge to the intake under the radiator inlet. I am using the same gauge that was in my vette before the motor change (it was running at around 220) now it reads anywhere from 230 -just under the redline of 250.
If anyone has a part number for one they are using that reads a reasonable temp, for a 68 gauge please pass it on to me.
I don't think the car is really running this hot but it does make me uncomfortable looking at the gauge.
Is there another way to check how hot the motor is really getting?

Thank-you,

Rick;help

I had the same problem with my gauge after putting in the ZZ4. I eventually put in my old temp sender and the car never reaches over 180. I did research on corvetteforum.com to find out how many other had the problem. It appears that new senders from NAPA and other can read 50 degrees high and low than actual temp. I used a thermometer in my expansion tank to determine actual temps then compared the gauge.

Mark B.

Mark B.

Are you using the sending unit from the old motor or was a new one supplied with the crate motor? If new, will the old go in the spot that you selected for the new sending unit?

Bob

Bob,

There was'nt a sending unit supplied with the crate motor.

The gauge location in the new motor is 3/8" while the old was 1/2'
.This is why I moved to the head.

Mark B.

Now you've got me worried, your saying that you did the same thing I did. Moved the old sender to the head and your's is reading fine?
I will try the thermometer in the expansion tank.

Thanks guy's

Rick

Due to almost all the replacement temp senders not matching the calibration of the gauges, you need to find out if you really have a problem or not. Go to a shop that has an I.R. gun and "shoot" the thermostat housing (which is the outlet, not the inlet) and compare that actual reading with what you see on your gauge so you'll know what your gauge is telling you. At least you'll have a known-accurate reference point.

We had a post on the NCRS Board today from an owner who had tried six or seven different replacement senders, and finally found one right on the money at his Chevy dealer - AC-Delco sender, P/N 12334869.

The location in the head of most of these crate motors is 3/8 inch. The original sender in my 71 is 1/2 inch. So I had to mount the new NAPA replacement and my old sender, after I relized the NAPA was 50 degrees off, in my intake. The sender is located in the drivers side of the motor right by the thermostat.

Mark B.

JohnZ,
Do you remember what year car he had, in the mean time I will find a shop with this I.R. gun. Thanks for the info.

Sigforty,
I'm a little confused, you said you had to mount the new NAPA replacement and your old one?
I mounted my old one by the thermostat, unless I am running real hot I don't understand why I'm reading so much higher than before.

I really don't want to drive it anymore til I get this figured out.

Thank-you guy's

Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom