Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cruise Control And AC

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
Well Ive always driven newer cars and have gotten used to the way they're Cruise Worked but finally I tryed something different.

After tearing down the Steering Column to "Attempt" to fix the Wiggle I have in my Tilt *(Which I should ask you guys about)* I came across 2 Mini wires that come off the Turn signal selector.

Both were severed I simply reconnected them BOOM got cruise Im So happy!.

Next Demon is the AC Im going to have the unit recharged (Can someone tell me what to tell them pls as far as what chemical) But also I dont think the clutch/compressor is engaging is this common? Is there a common foul up on these AC units I should look at first?

If your AC system refrigerant charge is low then the clutch for the compressor won't engage. Once you add some refrigerant to the system to bring up the pressure the clutch should engage. I would first check to see if there is any pressure in the system, also check the fuse for the AC, make sure thats OK, otherwise no matter how much charge you have the clutch won't engage.

Did NOT know that makes sense though. I will have it recharged right away its FINALLY starting to get warm here and Im getting roasted ALIVE!

Is there anything else I should look for Relays/Hoses/Pumps I know nothing about these AC units except for what I read and look at under the hood.

I did however try the AC today when it was hot out. The Air coming out was hotter than just the vent is that a symptom of something?

Yeah Big Red, it means you've got no refrigerant. This is a job for a pro. You need special equipmennt to evacuate, recarge and check the system. Probably twice as there must be a leak somewhere or it would be working.

Maybe it's time to switch to R-134 from R-12. R-12 is bad for the ozone. Because of this the manufacturers cannot make much and the price has risen dramaticly ($50 or so a pound,you need 2.2 lbs.). It will cost the same to fix your A.C. with 134 or 12 this time. If you go with 134 now, it will cost a lot less the next time the system goes down.

The steering column wiggle is a common problem. The tilt knuckel gets loose from the steering wheel being pulled or pushed as an aid to exit the car. This bends a plate in the column causing play in the assembly.

Your local shop should charge about 3 hrs. labor to do this job. there should be no parts to buy unless there is more than 1/2" play(measured at the outside edge of the wheel). If there is more play than that, something may be broken.

Before you get to that point, check from underneath to see if the column is bolted solidly to the dash. You may have to pull the lower dash cover off to see.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom