Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Dash Lighting

berry1133@bellsouth.net

Hello all. Just purchased a '81 Vette. I do not get any system check lighting on my dash when starting or chime. Can someone point me in the right direction to begin troubleshooting?

Which check lighting? Brake light, choke light, SES light, alternator light or everything together?

Greetings Peter

Hello Peter and thanks for the response. I do not have any check lighting when starting the engine. I do have the dash lights that come on when the headlights are on. Otherwise nothing lights up when starting the vehicle.

BBerry

But your meters and gauges are working (they are on the same fuse).

Greetings Peter

:w Berry & Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community :thumb :w

Do I understand this correctly... your seat belt, Alt other "Quick Check" lights nor your key ignition don't ding when the key is in the switch and turned to the on position :dance

Do all your speedo/tach and gage lights work ok??

I don't recall which relay on the fuse panel is for the steering wheel alarms, it may be labeled if you are inclined to get a flash light and get down under the dash and check it out. I looked at the fuse panel drawing and didn't see it labeled there ;shrug

attachment.php

Bud

Hello Bud. Your assumption is correct. No ignition ding, no "quick check" lights at start-up. All gauges are working properly.

BBerry

Begin by checking the CTSY CLK 20 amps fuse. If this is oke then I have to think harder for a solution. :L

Greetings Peter

Reading about this in my 1981 GM Shop manual it suggests to test 3 fuses ;)
2 at the top of the fuse panel a 7.5 fuse (Inst. LPS) and 20 amp (C/H)
then one about half way down the panel on the left side.. 20 amp (Gages).

It could also be an issue with the ignition switch contacts :eek

Bud

My key warning buzzer was missing so I replaced it and it's working fine. However, I still do not get any lamps in the dash. This includes signal lights (signal lights do perform as intended). Any suggestions?

When you remove your dash box you can reach inside for the generator light and low fuel light. Remove the gen. light and see if it isn't broken. If that is oke then I think the problem is after the fuse and before the lights. Maybe a cable that is broken, or connectors that are loose? Your center console and speedo console have twee connectors, I think to much coincedence to be unhooked both. With the connector removed on your center console the gauges shouldn't be working either and they do so? But I think without removing the center console it's very difficult to get to the bottom of this.

Greetings Peter

Thanks Peer81. I will employ your suggestion to get to the bottom of this. I will keep everyone posted.

BBerry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom