Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dash Lights

Corvette
1998 Convertible Black
Just had my new 80 out for the first time at night and found out some of the dash lights are out. I can only see half of the speedometer and nothing on the tech side. Does anyone know how to replace the bulbs? Do I have to pull the dash or can I just climb under and reach.

Thanx in advance.

almost all the bulbs in mine were out when i got it.i'm doing a restoration on the 75 but you should be able to reach up and pull them one at a time. on mine the grey wires were the dash lights, the others were for the signals etc. the cluster on the center is easy enough.
the bulbs are probably good, the contacts get corroded. clean the bottom and sides of the bulb with fine sandpaper, also take the wire out of the socket(push it out) and clean the contact point. replace the bulb and it should work.replacement bulbs (if you don't say vette)are around .50 cents.
If this does not work, check the black ground wires for contact.mike

replacing bulbs

I replaced the # 1895 bulbs in my gauges, tach and speedometer with # 2825 the 1895's didnt light the instruments very well and there was a big differance with the 2825's, just a tip

jimred75,

On your 1980 you might find it necessary to remove the bezel to access the lights "Behind the Speedometer and the tach" ;)

extinct

2825's are you kiding most parts place around here don't even know what a inst.bulb is let alone candle power[2cp] or [5cp] napa guys are so old they can't , lets just say their very old

Don't break the PC

Be very careful when reaching behind the dash for the inst bulb sockets. The 78 - 82 used a flexible plastic printed circuit on the back of the cluster which is easily damaged. I'd recommend pulling the cluster to replace the bulbs.

Regards, Phil

Hey Tom, thanks for the info on the brighter blubs. My "76" dash lights are pretty dim so I am going to replace them with #2825. Thanks

Heys guys helps for the info, since I am 275 and son is only 100 pds, guess who's climbing down under with the flashlight. Thanx

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom