Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dash pad Speakers

J

jet4rs

Good morning gang,
Want to put speakers in the dash pad opening where speakers are suppose to go. My concern is how do the speaker covers come out? I don't want to distroy them. :r Will I have to take the pad out? I am also hoping that there will be speaker wires waiting for me when I gain access.
It doen't seem as though the shop manual tells me. I can find instructions on how to take the dash pad out but that is as far as it goes. :confused

Thanks, :cool
Have a great day
Bob w/jet4rs

Bob
Are you talking about the two slots on either side of the dash (usally w/a slight blue color)? I did not know that they are used for speakers. I had thought the door and rear hatch area are the only spots.

Tom,
Yes those are the areas that I am talking about. Are you telling me that there is/was no option to have speakers in those slots? Why did they put them there?
I don't have a bose system and the door speaker sound is all sucked up by the carpet. The dash pad would be a great place to get some reflective sound. Sure looks like a speaker cavity.

Bob

Hi Bob,
I know our 84 had speakers there and my hubby put some new aftermarket ones in. I will talk to him tonight and have him post what and how he did it. :D

Bob,
On my 85 they are dummy areas but I would think you can place speakers in this location. It sure looks like they had that in mind. I do not know off hand how to remove the covers.

Carlo

They aren't hard to remove; they're pre-cut to shape so all you have to do is cut the rest of the way through the plastic if you want to remove them. I installed a tweeter in each of my openings (In the dash that is! :L) simply cutting a small hole to accomodate them. ;)

_ken :w

My 85 has speakers in the dash as well as the doors and rear. To get to the dash speakers ...remove the dash pad , the covers are bolted in from underneath....hope this helps...

Thanks all for the response. I'll be waiting Chevy (for your hubbies response). Eagle, they could have made it a little easier by leaving the bolts from underneath out. It will be fun to see if there are wires there if it was an option or just a provision.

Thanks again.

Just loaded some pics of the jet into the members gallery for those that might be interested.

Be talking with you :TALK
Bob w/jet4rs

What I did

Put in 4X6 speakers

( Yes remove the dash top )

I had to remove the OLD blanks..... but I had some PRE cutout spares ( from my 84 OLD dash) & re covered them .In addition I used a blocking CAP to remove low end... since a 4X6 will not reproduce low end worth a $hit....

So there my MID & Tweet's

No STOCK wires there..... had to run my own!

Vig!

Hi,
The reason the space is there is 4 the NON bose cars that had speakers there instead of the doors.
We have some pics of the dash pad underside and instructions at our website Under "Customised" then "CBRadio"

yeah i have kind of a problem with that too

since i bought my 85 only one dash speaker works

that or the side panel,, i can't remember sigh,, all i know is i cant' find the wire leads for it

but 85's do have speakers on teh dash,, i dont know why yours doesn't,, "to the guy that said his 85 doens't"

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom