Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheBlueVette

I had my '97 in for 40,000 mile maintenance, and the dealer dumped it off the lift while changing the oil. They are not being very cooperative in making this right. My car must have fallen 6 feet -- they want to replace the body and paint it, and give it back in 3 weeks "as good as new" Anyone have any ideas on how to get them to make this right? Is there a district manager for California dealerships?

I am so sorry to hear that such a thing happened to your car, but you are sure to get a lot of direction here. We have quite a few people who've had to deal with questionable dealer practices before.

Good luck.

The dealership dropped the ball on this one.Sorry...no pun intended. I think the first thing I would do is contact a good attorney. How are they going to make it "good as new" when it fell 6 feet? I'm no expert, but I dont think the car will ever be right again. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. :(

Reefdiver has the right idea. I'd be surprised if there weren't suspension issues, possible bent frame, stress cracks (not just in the body) that may not be readily apparent, etc. I'm sure there is also a California District Manager. If that particular dealership won't give you his number, go to a competitor. I'm sure they'd be happy to. Worst case, go to the GM website and start contacting corporate.

I would also have to agree with the above statements and contacting GM and that the car probably will not be the same as it was, and you will end up sinking a lot of money and time trying to get it back to the way it was.

We really don't know if it hit ground as in free fall drop or something less than that. Best not to depend on strangers to tell you what to do in this case.

You can either go for the throat, go down the path they lead you on, or something in between. Sounds to me like they're optioning to take the least expensive way out for themselves first...only logical for the dealer.

Best case for you is the car is totaled...not likely to happen. Put your poker face on and start hard ball negotiating. Another free opinion. Best of luck with incompetent idiots.....:(

Vettefan87 said:
I would also have to agree with the above statements and contacting GM and that the car probably will not be the same as it was, and you will end up sinking a lot of money and time trying to get it back to the way it was.

I don't understand how you could drop a car off a lift, but leave it up to the dealer service to do that. If there is one consistent warning, it's never take your car to the dealer. We've had so many complaints about shabby dealership work.

I hope you contact the regional GM manager and your attorney. There is just no way that a car can fall 6 feet off a lift and be repaired "as good as new."

You might also want to take it to get a second opinion.

You need to get the car checked and retain an attorney. I probably would not move it from their premesis. That might indicate some "de-facto" acceptance. In spite of what they show on TV, cars are not made to drop 6 feet. I heard abaout a similar story happening here in the Valley and the dealer just replaced the car. You might check the "other Forum" archive for this toipic. Good luck. Sheesh, I can't believe GM still has some dealers that are that bad...

Bruce

Even if they can "fix it good as new", they have depreciated the car substantially! I wouldn't buy it at anything close to market value now -- would you?

barnetdh said:
...dealer dumped it off the lift...They are not being very cooperative in making this right.
Welcome to Corvette Action Center. I sure wish you could have joined under much better circumstances.

I showed this thread to my husband and he is curious to know which dealership is being uncooperative with you. Please send me a PM if you don't wish to post publicly.
Kenny grew up in Northern California and worked at several dealerships through high school. I suspect he has an 'uncooperative' dealership in mind when he asked me to request this information from you.

Good luck and please keep us informed as to how this unfolds.
Heidi :w

barnetdh said:
I had my '97 in for 40,000 mile maintenance, and the dealer dumped it off the lift while changing the oil. They are not being very cooperative in making this right. My car must have fallen 6 feet -- they want to replace the body and paint it, and give it back in 3 weeks "as good as new" Anyone have any ideas on how to get them to make this right? Is there a district manager for California dealerships?
I'm a little confused be what you mean by replacing the body. If you are talking every body panel there is no way a '97 would not be a total loss. Do you have a damage estimate and photos? I agree with Warren that you need to file a report with your own insurance company. If your company totals your car and pays you market value they will subrogate the dealer's insurance company for the loss paid. That dealer may decide it is cheaper to take you shopping for a replacement car that they can buy at a better price.

Tom

Someone already wondered how they could drop a car off a lift (completely) and I do also. Must have been a frame lift with pads that extend out to the sides ??? Did the car fall on its side 6 feet to the floor? Did the lift fail? I can see a pad slipping but can't see how the car could fall completely off. Anyhow, I am having trouble visualizing the scenario. I am just curious how this could happen so that I may avoid the same fate in the future.
Best luck, Glenn

Stewart Automotive dropped my C5

Thanks, Heidi...

The dealer who was working on my '97 was Stewart Automotive Group in Colma, CA, near South San Francisco.

- Dave

78SilvAnniv said:
Welcome to Corvette Action Center. I sure wish you could have joined under much better circumstances.

I showed this thread to my husband and he is curious to know which dealership is being uncooperative with you. Please send me a PM if you don't wish to post publicly.
Kenny grew up in Northern California and worked at several dealerships through high school. I suspect he has an 'uncooperative' dealership in mind when he asked me to request this information from you.

Good luck and please keep us informed as to how this unfolds.
Heidi :w

pvtpilot said:
Someone already wondered how they could drop a car off a lift (completely) and I do also. Must have been a frame lift with pads that extend out to the sides ??? Did the car fall on its side 6 feet to the floor? Did the lift fail? I can see a pad slipping but can't see how the car could fall completely off. Anyhow, I am having trouble visualizing the scenario. I am just curious how this could happen so that I may avoid the same fate in the future.
Best luck, Glenn
From what they told me, one of the lift arms didn't lock in place, as it should have. Two men were working under the car when it slipped off the lift. They were describing it as a defective lift, and were going to get the lift manufactuer to come in and inspect all their lifts. A friend with another C5 told me that there are slots in the C5 frame that are used to lock it in place on the lift, that must not have been used.

Dave

Tom -

The entire body wasn't damaged. There's a big scrape on the rear panel, the front wheel wells and panels are completely shattered, the hood has delaminated and can't be closed, the windshield is cracked, and one of the rear tires looks out of true.

- Dave

barnetdh said:
From what they told me, one of the lift arms didn't lock in place, as it should have. Two men were working under the car when it slipped off the lift. They were describing it as a defective lift, and were going to get the lift manufactuer to come in and inspect all their lifts. A friend with another C5 told me that there are slots in the C5 frame that are used to lock it in place on the lift, that must not have been used.

Dave

Someone is going to be held responsible for this, whether it's the manufacturer for making a defective lift or the techs for not locking out a defective lift.

It's a good thing that no one was hurt. I was never a fan of using lifts in automotive class. I just never felt totally safe using them.

Who is the dealer that did this ? Do you have any pics of the damage? How did it fall of the lift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom